Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which of the two is more reliable? I've heard of a lot of problems with some of the newer shimano freehubs. I'm building up another bike to do some touring, so reliability is the primary concern.

I have a NOS set of 750, and can get some 770's for less than $100. XTR 970's can be had for close to $200, but that is a bit more than I want to spend on this bike. Any other hubsets in that price range I should be looking at instead?

Thanks for your help

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
The 750's are stone reliable with a cro-mo rear axle and 16 point (maybe 18, I can't remember) freehub body. The 770's use an aluminum rear axle and 36 point freehub body. It is quite a bit lighter but has had some reliability issues. I would think for touring you'd be better off with the 750's.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
XT M770 hubs:

36point freehub and alu axle. The early axles on these hubs were snaptastic. Shimano changed something pretty quick and they seem about as reliable as any other Shimano hub now.

750 is a 18point hub and a steel axle, they also come in 6-bolt disc if you want it. I recently sold on a set that aside from two freehubs had covered several thousand miles without any parts replaced. Provided you keep the grease in the bearings clean they just run and run and run.

The only weakness to both hubs is the Shimano freehub, if you're a hub masher they're a bit weak compared to a Hope or DT freehub. But if you're not they're fine, I got through two just by plain wearing them out.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
jager7 said:
Which of the two is more reliable? I've heard of a lot of problems with some of the newer shimano freehubs. I'm building up another bike to do some touring, so reliability is the primary concern.

I have a NOS set of 750, and can get some 770's for less than $100. XTR 970's can be had for close to $200, but that is a bit more than I want to spend on this bike. Any other hubsets in that price range I should be looking at instead?

Thanks for your help
For me, the biggest issue with the 770 is parts availability. I need to replace one cone on my 18 month old hub. To get it I would have to buy an entire axle assembly for ~$45. No Third party aftermarket cones are made, and right and left cones are different.

I am replacing the hub with a cartridge bearing model I can get individual parts for.

I also had the FH fail within a year on two different hubs, though it is claimed that has been improved.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.