Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Shimano XT hub compatibility w/ standard disk?

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  BudhaGoodha 
#1 ·
I was looking at getting a set of wheels for a good price.

The set is Mavic XM 321 rims put onto Shimano XT disk hubs.

I don't want to have to use Shimano dedicated disks. Will standard disks still work on it? Is there an adaptor for a 6 hole disk instead of the spinny shimano style?

Hopefully I can use them, they look like good strong FR wheels.

#4 ·
BudhaGoodha said:
Are you talking about the XTm765 hub? or there a difference between XTm765 and XTm756?

The hub that comes with it is a Shimano XTm765 disk.

Does the XT come with an adaptor plate or something? doesn't appear to be any mounts for 6 hole disk.
756= 6 bolt
765= splined

#5 ·
As blunderbuss mentioned the M756 is the "older" version of the hub with a 6 bolt pattern. The M765 is the "newer" version with the splines.

The M765 if not mistaken doesn't have any adapter in order to make it compatible with bolt on disks, you can only use Shimano rotors with it.

Can you make the wheel builder use a different more "standard" same quality, similar priced hub? Seems to me that you don't want to go the splined rotor way.

#6 ·
BudhaGoodha said:
I was looking at getting a set of wheels for a good price.

The set is Mavic XM 321 rims put onto Shimano XT disk hubs.

I don't want to have to use Shimano dedicated disks. Will standard disks still work on it? Is there an adaptor for a 6 hole disk instead of the spinny shimano style?

Hopefully I can use them, they look like good strong FR wheels.
You can get the Centerloc adaptor by Problem Solvers, or just go with the Shimano centerloc rotor with your disc brakes. You don't have to go Shimano disc hub/rotor/caliper, go ahead and mix it up, Shimano disc hub/rotor and your choice of caliper (hope, avid, magura, etc). The Shimano spline interface is just a proprietary way of mounting the rotor.

Attachments

#7 ·
commo_soulja said:
You can get the Centerloc adaptor by Problem Solvers, or just go with the Shimano centerloc rotor with your disc brakes. You don't have to go Shimano disc hub/rotor/caliper, go ahead and mix it up, Shimano disc hub/rotor and your choice of caliper (hope, avid, magura, etc). The Shimano spline interface is just a proprietary way of mounting the rotor.
What would be a good alternative to a shimano XT for about the same price?>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.