Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar experience. I have a long cage XT clutch rear der with about 500 off road miles on it now and last ride was having issues with it. The clutch would stick really bad. It would stick open as I shifted down causing mis shifts and the chain slapping all over the place. I opened it up last night and discovered that water had gotten in the clutch mechanism and rusted portions of the clutch band which was causing it to stick really bad. I find this kind of ridiculous because I have a Sram X9 rear der on another bike with a clutch with more miles and no problems what so ever... any one else had issues like this?

·
Registered
973 Posts
you may want to check the Shimano forum...plenty of talk and not a real "fix". My XT Shadow Plus has worked as designed for 500+ miles. I have opened it up several times and all is good...I am not convinced there is a product quality issue, but I do understand, and am sympathetic to the fact that there have been a bunch of failures of the same part...wrong initial adjustment? Have we seen a second failure?

Attachments

·
Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
Ripmo
3,525 Posts
Shimano came through for me. I sent mine in last week as it was also full of corrosion, and Shimano replaced it. Very good policy, and they were fast. I am bummed that there are so many problems with these. I really like Shimano, they took care of the replacement, but I am not so sure these are going to be reliable. I had about 50 hours on mine I think, when it started to fail in taking up chains lack.

·
bigger than you.
3,070 Posts
I would be interested in knowing how you are aware your "clutch is sticking..."
it wouldn't retract fully when shifting from lower to higher gears, it would stick and as I shifted to a smaller cog, the chain would slacken excessively. I ended up taking the derailleur cogs apart to clean them and found that the spindle was clogged with hair (not mine) and dirt, causing the assembly to bind, inhibiting it from returning freely. After cleaning it and putting it back together, it now works fine.

·
Ripmo
3,525 Posts
I too would like to know if there is a set up problem. I followed instructions exactly upon setup. Then last week, when I bought second one, I confirmed that it WAS set up correctly. However, the instructions are not that detailed on B tension screw, but it really is not that difficult. So there is not much to explain I guess. Chain length is good too. There was rust inside clutch band on mine. That rust is sort of unrelated to the failure I think. I had same tension problem as Gigantic, above.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I am wondering if the tension on the band that surrounds the clutch has been too tight. If the band is "too tight" would not all the grief from the chain bounce be absorbed by the band...the band must be able to control the chain slap, but it appears that it is being overwhelmed by the chain bounce. I took mine apart, just for grins, after 100ish miles. I did purchase the Shimano "internal hub grease" part number Y04120800 ( those are all zeros ) that is recommended in their service bulletin. I also was not anal about not getting the lube on the contact area between the band and the "drum" as it was lubed by someone before I bought the bike new last fall...maybe mine has lived because of the lube on the outside of the drum is making the clutch life a little easier...there still is very noticeable clutch tension though and my foolish passion for riding up and down steps has not resulted in any slap or drop...must be all my clean living...

·
Ripmo
3,525 Posts
I usually would get 100 to 400 rides on the regular old XT And XTR rear derailleurs, depending on wether or not they took big rock hits. 50 hours is design flaw for sure.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hello, I have some problem also with a NEW XT 11 speed derailleur. THe clutch was not functionning properly, when I move the cage in ON mode, it feels sometimes OK ("braked" by the clutch ) and sometimes free (like on OFF position).

Dismounting the derailleur, the friction spring Q shape was OK, but the clutch by itself (one way roller bearing freewheel) was flawed. It is supposed to rotate well in one direction and block in the other direction. It was not blocking, it was slipping. Tried to remove lube, add more lube.. impossible to solve the problem.

Removing the clutch from his round shaft was very (too) easy. I used an old clutch from an old XT 10 speed and it is not working. When installing the clutch on its shaft it must be a little bit hard, the flawed one was too easy to remove and install.

bad quality shimano (the old XT 10 speed had also a clutch cam support failure): 2 XT derailleurs, 2 problems.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.