Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Workin for the weekend!
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever done this to an XT 10 speed cassette? image.jpg image.jpg

It had 1500km or so on it... I'm 6'3", 230lbs, curious if XTR is stronger or if I need to mash a little lighter...

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Yes. I did the EXACT same thing this last winter. Same cassette, same spot...I'm even the exact same size. The XTR carrier would have to be made differently in that location to be stronger...I'm not sure on this detail.

Keep mashing, I say. I bought a couple spare cassettes on Ribble in case I do it again. They were extremely cheap...pay to play, I suppose.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
My brother did something a little similar to an old 8sp XTR.....one cog had warped/bent so much it was touching the next smallest one.

·
> /dev/null 2&>1
3,824 Posts
I'd guess xtr would be no stronger than the xt, and possibly even a tad weaker, given the weight difference.

Shifting under power (especially standing power) can do this or lead to it.

Mashing / standing but still pedaling smooth in a single gear shouldn't be too harsh on it.

Also that cassette looks a little aged and slightly shark toothed so it was probably a fatigue failure.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yes. I did the EXACT same thing this last winter. Same cassette, same spot...I'm even the exact same size. The XTR carrier would have to be made differently in that location to be stronger...I'm not sure on this detail.

Keep mashing, I say. I bought a couple spare cassettes on Ribble in case I do it again. They were extremely cheap...pay to play, I suppose.
XTR carrier is totally different than XT. It is 2+2+2, white XT is 3+3. I recently had the two cassettes side by side and XTR seems to be designed to handle more torque. It is also built with better grade materials. I say it is definitely stronger than XT, besides being lighter. 3 times the price but 4 times the quality.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts