Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed the new Shimano XT 8100 group and am using a new Race Face 30T on the front. Install was simple but the chain will not stay on the front ring????
I have a full suspension bike so I used the big rear ring and added 5 links plus the quick connect? Is my chain to long?
Any thoughts on what the problem is?
Thanks for any advise.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Shimano changed the internal dimensions of their 12 speed chains and so only a Shimano front ring will work with their chains.

Either change RF ring to a Shimano setup. Or change the chain to any other 12sp brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, I haven’t. It’s weird...
Had XT 8000 11 speed with a 30T and 46 in the rear and was flawless for a season. I’m not a mechanic, but have put many drivetrains on a few bike from 3x to 1x and always shimano.
Beets me LOL,,,

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hmm. The only special things on 12 speed is that the chain is directional, and the chainring is much narrower. so assuming the raceface is fine for width, and the chain is on right way round, and the chainline isn't crazy out, I got nothing.

·
Registered
634 Posts
lube obviously wont change anything.

I cant imagine the sram link changing anything, but it does make me wonder if your shimano quick link is too stiff and needs bit of wiggling to loosen it up. stick links could cause the chain to pop off. Youd definitely hear it though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Shimano changed the inner profiles of the links. That has made the inner area smaller, Thus preventing the chain to from sitting correctly on the chain ring.

The links have a chamfer on them that catches on aftermarket rings. Shimano did this to achieve the hyperglide + technology.

Hold two chains over each other and you will see the holes (from the top) on both chains are different.

So only Shimano 12sp or aftermarket rings for 12 so Shimano will work.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Nope, I haven’t. It’s weird...
Had XT 8000 11 speed with a 30T and 46 in the rear and was flawless for a season. I’m not a mechanic, but have put many drivetrains on a few bike from 3x to 1x and always shimano.
Beets me LOL,,,
11sp and 12sp are very very different.

Is the chainring the correct offset?

Is it on the correct way round.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hmm. The only special things on 12 speed is that the chain is directional, and the chainring is much narrower. so assuming the raceface is fine for width, and the chain is on right way round, and the chainline isn't crazy out, I got nothing.
All Shimano chains are directional. Not just special to 12sp.

·
Registered
634 Posts
All Shimano chains are directional. Not just special to 12sp.

Definitely not. 11 speed has a front and back. 12 has a front back up down. every other shimano chain is symmetric.

I dont use shimano 11 speed chains, i found them to be complete garbage. (12 seems fine so far)

·
Registered
634 Posts
A quick google search shows it is... of course that search yielded this thread.
:p

I just looked at the chain, I think your right. I must have confused it with another.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
lube obviously wont change anything.

I cant imagine the sram link changing anything, but it does make me wonder if your shimano quick link is too stiff and needs bit of wiggling to loosen it up. stick links could cause the chain to pop off. Youd definitely hear it though.
It did for me, although for my situation, it was due to my chain, cassette and derailleur being used (transferred from my other bike) while the chainring was brand new on the new bike. I guess it was due to the chainring material vs the partially worn out chain.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts