Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Cycologist
16,919 Posts
I'm a bit torn as I hate the idea of batteries and the need for charging on my bikes. But I love the look of no wires/cables. Ironically, I'm not really interested in internal routing, though.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
I'm really curious why they're so far behind SRAM on this stuff coming out. Di2 has been around a long time, so you'd think the 12spd version would have been a quicker release?
Maybe they didn't realize so many people were lazy?
All I've ever read on here and other places is people dumping on DI2, then boom Sram releases the same thing without a few wires and everyone goes gag-gag over it.

·
since 4/10/2009
37,118 Posts
I'm really curious why they're so far behind SRAM on this stuff coming out. Di2 has been around a long time, so you'd think the 12spd version would have been a quicker release?
Shimano has always been more on the conservative side. Though the article stated that it was supposed to be released last year, and that they delayed it for additional refinement.

I'm surprised that Shimano didn't start using the micro spline freehub body on road gear. I thought for sure they'd wind up doing that.

TBH, though, I don't really have any interest in electronic shifting at this point. Interesting to note that there's no mechanical Dura Ace option. Does this suggest that Shimano will eventually eliminate mechanical XTR once it can convince enough mtb riders to adopt it?

·
Human Test Subject
1,493 Posts
Sram also has a tendency to release things early for the general population to test, then they do a safety recall because their brakes don't work. Shimano tests the snot out of things. And releases them when they're ready, regardless if they're a few speeds behind.

GRX is so new we might not see a refresh for a year or two, but I'm not in the industry so I may be wrong.

·
Registered
ya like dags?
5,889 Posts
Shimano has always been more on the conservative side. Though the article stated that it was supposed to be released last year, and that they delayed it for additional refinement.

I'm surprised that Shimano didn't start using the micro spline freehub body on road gear. I thought for sure they'd wind up doing that.

TBH, though, I don't really have any interest in electronic shifting at this point. Interesting to note that there's no mechanical Dura Ace option. Does this suggest that Shimano will eventually eliminate mechanical XTR once it can convince enough mtb riders to adopt it?
I'm not interested in it either. I have ridden Di2 and thought it was great, but not great enough to justify the price. Electronic shifting is one of those things that's on my "if I ever hit the lottery" list.

·
since 4/10/2009
37,118 Posts
I'm not interested in it either. I have ridden Di2 and thought it was great, but not great enough to justify the price. Electronic shifting is one of those things that's on my "if I ever hit the lottery" list.
I could afford it if I really wanted it. I also have ridden older Di2 and SRAM road wireless systems and they're nice. But I see that I would also need to pay attention to charging it up. Otherwise I'd end up with an unpleasant ride.

I see it as making a lot more sense for serious racers than for the way I ride.

One side note, related to the charging aspect, is that the external battery on SRAM AXS derailleurs makes it easier to just swap the battery. You can keep a couple in rotation and even carry a spare in your pack and swap it on the trail. You don't actually have to plug your bike in. You can store your bike in a shed that doesn't have power, charge the batteries inside, and replace as necessary. With Shimano's battery that lives in the seat tube, that's not really gonna work out so well.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
41,057 Posts
Probably because they were so far behind to start with? Ever since SRAM 1x they've been playing catch up. First it was 11 speed, then 12, then electronic shifting, etc.

Anyway, good to see shimano finally with a semi-wireless system. It looks semi-cool.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Probably because they were so far behind to start with? Ever since SRAM 1x they've been playing catch up. First it was 11 speed, then 12, then electronic shifting, etc.

Anyway, good to see shimano finally with a semi-wireless system. It looks semi-cool.
Shimano had electronic shifting before SRAM.
While I do admit I like Shimano, calling that hot mess of wide narrow cogs with the chain riding up on the teeth and having to slip into sync being so far a head is a stretch.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.