Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Specialized Fatboy
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Shimano XT Wheelset

So I've been eyeing this wheelset for awhile to ad to my 1yr. old NRS1. I'll probably have to get it used since I can't really afford new but I had a question concerning the strength of these wheels since there's obviously less spokes than my stock wheelsets. I weigh about 145lbs. and if I get that wheelset used will it hold up pretty well? Also what do you think of that wheelset? good? bad? The other wheelset I was considering is 2002 Mavic Crossmax wheelsets.

edit: Here's specs to my bike if needed 2003 Giant NRS 1

Thanks for your help

Nick

·
Registered
681 Posts
Well, I am not a huge fan of prebuilt wheelsets like that. In my personal opinion they tend to be overpriced for what they are. They are about $400 new but when it comes down to it the components just aren't that great (XT hubs, cheap skewers, etc.). I will admit, however, that they look very cool. I would just urge to to investigate what else you could get custom built for you at your LBS, mtnhighcyclery, webcyclery, etc. If you are okay with going used, I picked up a Chris King/DT Revolution/Sun 0 Degree XC Lite wheelset for $260 on eBay that was barely used. I'm not trying to come in here and say that that wheelset is bad. I haven't ridden one, it might be great. I'm just urging you to look at the value in a custom built wheelset. It is amazing what you can get.

·
Registered
56 Posts
NRS1FREAK said:
Shimano XT Wheelset

So I've been eyeing this wheelset for awhile to ad to my 1yr. old NRS1. I'll probably have to get it used since I can't really afford new but I had a question concerning the strength of these wheels since there's obviously less spokes than my stock wheelsets. I weigh about 145lbs. and if I get that wheelset used will it hold up pretty well? Also what do you think of that wheelset? good? bad? The other wheelset I was considering is 2002 Mavic Crossmax wheelsets.

edit: Here's specs to my bike if needed 2003 Giant NRS 1

Thanks for your help

Nick
Nick,

I have these wheels in the XTR model and I must say I am impressed with how light, how strong, and how great they look. Unfortunately, if something happens to these wheels finding parts is nearly impossible (approx. 30 days for a replacement rim) and the cost is EXPENSIVE. For an XTR replacement rim it is about $200.00 and an XT replacement wheel it is about $100.00. I know this because I damaged my rear wheel (completely my fault) and have been going crazy trying to find a replacement rim. If these wheels will be the only wheels you own, stay away.

bert

·
Specialized Fatboy
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bertperez said:
Nick,

I have these wheels in the XTR model and I must say I am impressed with how light, how strong, and how great they look. Unfortunately, if something happens to these wheels finding parts is nearly impossible (approx. 30 days for a replacement rim) and the cost is EXPENSIVE. For an XTR replacement rim it is about $200.00 and an XT replacement wheel it is about $100.00. I know this because I damaged my rear wheel (completely my fault) and have been going crazy trying to find a replacement rim. If these wheels will be the only wheels you own, stay away.

bert
Thanks for the response guys, so bert I would have a problem with these beyond any other wheelsets even though I weight 145lbs. ?? How much would a replacement rim cost for 2002 Crossmax wheelsets like my friend has? If it's the same I won't feel so bad. BTW, I was actually able to pick up the XT wheelsets for real cheap.

Nick

·
Registered
56 Posts
NRS1FREAK said:
Thanks for the response guys, so bert I would have a problem with these beyond any other wheelsets even though I weight 145lbs. ?? How much would a replacement rim cost for 2002 Crossmax wheelsets like my friend has? If it's the same I won't feel so bad. BTW, I was actually able to pick up the XT wheelsets for real cheap.

Nick
I do not think your going to have a problem with the wheels. I weigh 165# and had no problems with them, that is until the problem i caused myself (not Shimano's fault). I have no clue how much a replacement wheel for a crossmax wheelset will cost you, but I doubt it will be as expensive as the Shimano XT ($100.00), I could be wrong though.

bert

·
Specialized Fatboy
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would it be ok if I asked about how you damaged your wheels? I can definitely say for myself I won't be doing an "crazy" downhills but I do XC so that will probably be about it. lol, sorry to bother you all with all the questions but how hard is it to change the components i.e. disc rotors, scurers, tires between the new and old wheelsets? I've never tried it and I'm mostly worried about the disc rotors because I know they need to be torqued to a certain setting, I hate tightening screws and always mess them up. I've called a couple of places as well and they charge $10 and $20, is this resonable? I'd rather do it on my own if I can. Thanks for all your help guys,

Nick

·
Registered
56 Posts
NRS1FREAK said:
Would it be ok if I asked about how you damaged your wheels? I can definitely say for myself I won't be doing an "crazy" downhills but I do XC so that will probably be about it. lol, sorry to bother you all with all the questions but how hard is it to change the components i.e. disc rotors, scurers, tires between the new and old wheelsets? I've never tried it and I'm mostly worried about the disc rotors because I know they need to be torqued to a certain setting, I hate tightening screws and always mess them up. I've called a couple of places as well and they charge $10 and $20, is this resonable? I'd rather do it on my own if I can. Thanks for all your help guys,

Nick
I messed up the rear wheel by only having approx. 20psi in the wheel rear and trying to bunny hop a rut @ 30mph. I did not clear the rut, so the rear wheel took the entire impact. The wheel no longer seals tubless tires, but it is still running great with a tube and tire. Changing tires, and skewers, should not be a problem. If you are not familar with doing those two simple tasks, PRACTICE. Flats are inevitable and you will one day sooner or later need to change the tire on the road and not having the ability will leave you hopless.
-- I am parting out the bike so if anyone is interested in some XTR wheels for $350.00 email me =)

[email protected]

·
Registered
329 Posts
I also weigh in around 145 lbs and I have destroyed my Mavic 317 rear rim riding aggressive XC and a little bit of downhill. My Mavic 819 rim is a little tougher but I can tell it's only a matter of time until that one will also bite the dust. Maybe one more season. Most of the damage occurs on day-to-day rides doing small 2 - 2-1/2 drops onto rocky terrain. I ride a Santa Cruz heckler with 5.5" of rear wheel travel set to plush.

This may not match your ride profile exactly but it's an indicator of things to come as you progress. Being 145 lbs does not make you immune to the laws of physics. Rim damage occurs from high-velocity impacts (e.g. rocks) and it's the speed of the impact that damages more than weight alone. Unless you are a total race freak, I'd definitely consider the ability to replace rims a major priority in your selection of wheelsets. There ain't nothing wrong with a handbuilt wheelset from parts. Make sure you find an expert wheelbuilder.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.