Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode a bike with 1X11 SLX drivetrain. Not sure which sub-model but the shifter lever has an orange gear indicator if this helps. It seems the shifter can downshift two gears at a time. My question is, is it supposed to upshift more than one gear at a time (or downshift more than 2 at a time)?

Thanks

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
You sure it can downshift (to a smaller cog) 2 at a time? Wasn't aware they passed this on to SLX when they did it in 11spd if that's the case, know it doesn't do it in 10spd, only XT and XTR. As to the upshifts (to larger cogs), yes, it can upshift through as many as 4 or 5 cogs in one push - 10spd SLX is 3 clicks, XT/XTR is 4.

·
Registered
2018 Trek Stache
1,500 Posts
By what you are describing it sounds like they put an XT shifter on with a SLX rear mech. SLX shifters can downshift up to three at a time but only upshift one at a time. XT and XTR can downshift up to four gears at a time and upshift up to two gears at a time.
I recently changed my shifter to a XT and it looks like what you are describing.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I have 1 x 11 SLX M7000 shifter on my bike.
Definitely only shifts down the cassette 1 at a time. But does go back up in multiple steps at a time.
Just so everybody is on the same page, the typical terms are down the cassette is an upshift to a higher (speed) gear. Up the cassette is a downshift to a lower (climbing) gear. Generally, Shimano has multiple downshifts and single upshifts available across the range, with a second upshift available with a deeper press to a second click on XT and XTR. Some of those only work with a thumb press on the upshift lever instead of the finger pull option, in theory to reduce accidental double upshifts on rough trails.

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
You sure it can downshift (to a smaller cog) 2 at a time? Wasn't aware they passed this on to SLX when they did it in 11spd if that's the case, know it doesn't do it in 10spd, only XT and XTR. As to the upshifts (to larger cogs), yes, it can upshift through as many as 4 or 5 cogs in one push - 10spd SLX is 3 clicks, XT/XTR is 4.
Downshifting is to a smaller gear, that is lower gear-inches, that is a rear cog with more teeth. It has been this way forever and across disciplines. SLX downshifts multi, upshifts single.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Generally, Shimano has multiple downshifts and single upshifts available across the range, with a second upshift available with a deeper press to a second click on XT and XTR.
In Shimano marketing speak the ability to upshift 2 (smaller) gears at a time is called Multi Release. Not to be confused with 2-Way Release or Instant Release.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
My XTR shifter will downshift (to easier gears up the got) by like 4 shifts, as indicated above. Maybe the XTR will do more than SLX, but it's more than I need at a time usually anyway and don't count.

The SLX would not upshift (to harder gears) more than one at a time. The XTR (and XT) will shift 2 gears at a time, a partial click for the first shift, a 2nd click (pull lever further) and it shifts the 2nd gear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.