Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading online that a 11 speed SLX rear derailleur can handle a 11-46t Cassette (prob. get a Sunrace).

But upon inspection of my drive train at lbs, when I raised question... the technician um'd & ah'd & rolled his eyes.

He didn't say it wouldn't work, but he didn't inspire confidence either.

I've run 11-46 11 speed cassette before, but that was with GX.

Never gone bigger than 11-42 11 speed on Shimano.

FYI:
*AM HT 29er
*30t Oval up front
*11-42t Shimano cassette out back

At this moment in time, I cope fine on the 11-42t cassette.

But, I'm not getting any younger.

And... later this year - I'm doing an Epic 2 day ride w/ a sh!t load of climbing!

I'll need all the help I can get.

Anyone running 11-46t cassette w/ SLX rear der??

PS - pretty sure my SLX RD is long cage. However it may be a medium (how to tell difference?? Besides length i.e. you'd need both side by side to compare I rekon)

TIA

'Born to ride!'

·
damned rocks...
2,640 Posts
I have a RD-M7000-GS with an 11 speed 11-46 sunrace cassette and it works flawlessly.
The RD-M7000 was made to work with 11-46 cassettes from Shimano, so why wouldn't it work as it should?
It should say on the derailleur somewhere what model you have, but if you measure the distance between the pulleys I can compare with my medium cage.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,596 Posts
I've got 2 bikes with M8000 GS rear derailleurs using 11-46 sunrace cassettes. They work fine. I put Goatlink 11 b links on them to improve chain wrap, but that's a subtle difference and does not make or break the functionality of them.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome!

10x for responses.

11-46 Sunrace 11 Spd on the way =)

'Born to ride!'

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.