Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of building up my DT and I am down to a few key parts. I had originally planned on a Race Face Atlas AM or FR crank but the cost of the build is getting up there, the SLX has a nice price point, and I have seen a few DTs running them. Anybody had any experience good or bad, maybe an alternative?

·
shh. don't tell the wife
354 Posts
I ran one all year last year without any complaints. The bearings are still good and even though I gouged the big ring to death the arms and axle are still true.

They aren't very blingy but they do the job well. Based on my experience the only thing I'd move to is a HS.

For the record, I used to chew through old style crank & BB XT (XTR cranks like they were butter) cranks by virtue of the way I climb so it isn't like I'm easy on cranks.

·
1,113 Posts
For the $$ the slx are great.
If you want the stronger slx crank, get the double version. It has steel pedal inserts.

The triple chainring version does not have the steel inserts.
Bash the pedal good and the cranks are toast.

With the steel pedal insert they hold up to pedal bashing. The double is a 36/22 gearing. The 36 tooth lasted 6 mo for me, my only complaint.

If going the double route, May want to consider the saint/slx double specific front der.

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
I was going to say I've had nothing but good experience with my set. Basically the same general design as a slightly older XT, but no where near the price. If you hit the pedals a lot, then yeah, the double is the way to go. I'm running a triple, but then again my current ride is a trail bike and I don't usually hit much with the pedals (though I am a clyde and they have held up well).

·
Shread Ready
1,287 Posts
SLX BB / Bottom Bracket -squeaking issues

Hi, I've been running my SLX cranks for about one hard season. After the season was over they started to squeak a little. After sitting a few months I cleaned the bike up and now the cranks are squeaking more than ever!! I'm almost certain it's the BB /Bottom Bracket since I made sure all bolts were tight,etc. I had them professionally installed at my LBS.

Anyways, I'm thinking of upgrading the BB/Bottom Bracket and was wondering if anyone has upgraded their SLX BB?? From what I can tell I should be able to use the XTR bottom bracket which would apparently be a nice upgrade. Hopefully this would take care of my squeaking issues and provide a nice upgrade. Other than that I'm loving these cranks. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Thrasher said:
Hi, I've been running my SLX cranks for about one hard season. After the season was over they started to squeak a little. After sitting a few months I cleaned the bike up and now the cranks are squeaking more than ever!! I'm almost certain it's the BB /Bottom Bracket since I made sure all bolts were tight,etc. I had them professionally installed at my LBS.

Anyways, I'm thinking of upgrading the BB/Bottom Bracket and was wondering if anyone has upgraded their SLX BB?? From what I can tell I should be able to use the XTR bottom bracket which would apparently be a nice upgrade. Hopefully this would take care of my squeaking issues and provide a nice upgrade. Other than that I'm loving these cranks. :thumbsup:
I would first look at the enduro replacement bearings for the external bottom brackets - a fraction of the cost of a new BB (especially XTR). I had them in my older XTs and they were great.
http://www.endurobearings.com/bicycle.html

But honestly, before I went replacing bearings, I'd pull it all apart (ie: cranks off, chainrings off, bb out) and clean it all up, re-grease and re-install if everything looks good. You'll get a better feel for the bearings when you remove it - see if they are gritty.

If you really feel like saving $$ you can also pop off the bearing cover and extract/clean/regrease yourself, but not worth the time IMO.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Been using an SLX double with pedal inserts since beginning of last year. Arms and spider are flawless. With a 1x9 setup, I ran through the SLX chain ring pretty quick. It works but not the best durability wise. The BB however didn't last more than 2 months. Swapped out each for a Race Face DH ring and a HOPE BB with stainless bearings. Been on that setup for about 14 months since and still going strong.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
I've got two sets of the double ring versions, on on my Evil and one on my RFX (soon to be Chilcotin.)

I've had great success with both of them, for the money I think it's really hard to beat them.

·
Shread Ready
1,287 Posts
CharacterZero

Thanks for that info. I haven't took apart a BB before but I suppose I could buy a tool to take it off and work on it myself. I watched a Video for installing a BB and it didn't seem difficult. However, I'll probably just have a shop do it since it will probably be $15 for maintenance. Those enduro bearings look really nice. I'd be willing to possibly buy a set if it made for smoother peadling,etc. Would I just buy a set that fits my BB? I think mine is 68mm. And how much do you think they'd cost?

I'm still thinking I might just buy a XTR M970 BOTTOM BRACKET and be done with it. I was checking out one of those HOPE BB with stainless bearings but that was like $170!!

An XTR M970 BOTTOM BRACKET should run me about $55 installed. If it made for a smooth peadling crank without creaks I'd be content. Still, I'm interested in these other possibilities since I have my other XC bike running nice.

As for the SLX's. I haven't had issues with the chainrings or anything else but I'm thinking the BB isn't that great. Or, the shop didn't properly grease the BB but I'd be doubtful since that's standard on install. The cranks seem to have worked pretty good thus far and I think they look great on my bike. Much better that the Silver Stock Deores I beat to crap.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Thrasher said:
CharacterZero

Thanks for that info. I haven't took apart a BB before but I suppose I could buy a tool to take it off and work on it myself. I watched a Video for installing a BB and it didn't seem difficult. However, I'll probably just have a shop do it since it will probably be $15 for maintenance. Those enduro bearings look really nice. I'd be willing to possibly buy a set if it made for smoother peadling,etc. Would I just buy a set that fits my BB? I think mine is 68mm. And how much do you think they'd cost?

I'm still thinking I might just buy a XTR M970 BOTTOM BRACKET and be done with it. I was checking out one of those HOPE BB with stainless bearings but that was like $170!!

An XTR M970 BOTTOM BRACKET should run me about $55 installed. If it made for a smooth peadling crank without creaks I'd be content. Still, I'm interested in these other possibilities since I have my other XC bike running nice.

As for the SLX's. I haven't had issues with the chainrings or anything else but I'm thinking the BB isn't that great. Or, the shop didn't properly grease the BB but I'd be doubtful since that's standard on install. The cranks seem to have worked pretty good thus far and I think they look great on my bike. Much better that the Silver Stock Deores I beat to crap.
IIRC, my Enduro bearings for my XT bb were under $25.

Installation of an actual bottom bracket is easy peasy, given you have the one tool you need- a bb wrench.

Installation of the enduro bearings is a bit more than you'd probably want to do and is most easily done with the correct tools.

Sounds like you might be best off getting the XTR - you can always take your old SLX one and take it apart and get a feel for working on bearings!

·
Shread Ready
1,287 Posts
CharacterZero said:
IIRC, my Enduro bearings for my XT bb were under $25.

Installation of an actual bottom bracket is easy peasy, given you have the one tool you need- a bb wrench.

Installation of the enduro bearings is a bit more than you'd probably want to do and is most easily done with the correct tools.

Sounds like you might be best off getting the XTR - you can always take your old SLX one and take it apart and get a feel for working on bearings!
Yeah, I was looking at the website that has the Enduro bearings and noticed they had a special Bearing compressor tool which with the BB tool would probably get a little costly. Still good to know about. I'll probably end up going with the XTR and inspect my old SLX like you said. I'm just hoping it's the BB that's making the creak so I'll probably take it in for a free inspection to make sure before I purchase. Thanks again for the info.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.