Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read a review about the new Shimano SLX on Bikeradar.com....says it supposed to be a pretty good buy... Any thoughts? What about using it for all around All Mountain trail riding?

·
Old man on a bike
12,399 Posts
Well, let's see, it's between LX and XT in positioning by Shimano, both of those work well and are good for all around or all mountain biking...

As far as value I've seen some XT stuff priced better the little I looked around a while back.

Haven't seen any SLX stuff in person but haven't ogled many bikes lately either...

·
No Clue Crew
7,711 Posts
I run the SLX double-ring/bash combo on my Yeti 575 with an SLX front der. Worked great on that bike.

Swapped it over onto my new 29er build that takes a bottom-pull front der. Had to swap der to an XT unit that I suspect isn't specific to a 2x9 setup. Long story short, having a bunch of front der. issues with this new setup.

But relevant to your question: The cranks themselves are great. No issues at all. Possibly slightly overkill for my application, but they're not terribly heavy and the price is good.
d

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the feedback....i think im going to try the Shimano SLX M662 Rear Der. Long cage. to replace my xt long cage that ripped off the hanger yesterday...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Currently running full SLX groupset on my on-one 456titanium. Shifting is pretty slick, almost as good as the XT on my 29er, the brakes are fantastic although I run 203mm discs which helps. It's all very similar to XT and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the 2 in the dark, unless you weighed it. I reckon they will lose some xt customers to the slx.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well i went to the LBS and checked to see if the were able to order the SLX Rear Der.for me andwhat it might cost (just to see what they said) they tried to convince me to stay with XT and they let me hold and look at the new XT and XTR RD's. Its got me wondering if i should switch now. From the reviews i have read i feel like for the price its a great idea to go with the SLX because i am not concerned about the extra 30 grams of weight. The bike shop wants about 180.00 for a new RD. Now i want to support the LBS but i also want to get out and riding soon and for as cheap as i can. Maybe ill flip a coin.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah i think i will go ahead and buy online.....its just i wish i could support the LBS but theres no competition....they told me they hate online at the shop....i told them they should start there own website and try to compete....

Still not sure though if i should go XT or SLX.....

·
Shaq Fu
40 Posts
I have a question regarding the SLX.

If you switch over to use the 36-22t double ring crankset, you have to switch to the M665(667) front derailleur. What I want to know, is if you require a separate 2-ring shifter, or will the three position shifter still work?

I have been looking to see if there is an M665 shift pod, and have not found one.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
FreesteaderThed said:
I have a question regarding the SLX.

If you switch over to use the 36-22t double ring crankset, you have to switch to the M665(667) front derailleur. What I want to know, is if you require a separate 2-ring shifter, or will the three position shifter still work?

I have been looking to see if there is an M665 shift pod, and have not found one.

Thanks!
your current (3-speed) shifter and front derailleur will work fine...you will only need to readjust the high limit of the FD

·
No Clue Crew
7,711 Posts
That is correct. However, the SLX front der. works really, really well in conjunction with the 36/22/bash SLX setup. I'm now running an XT M770 as I needed bottom pull on a new frame and it's nowhere near as dialed. Realistically, that could be due to a frame change, but just throwing it out there.
d

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.