Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am upgrading my footwear and wondering what if anyone has used either of these.....I didnt see a lot of feedback in the reviews section.

Shimano SH-M182

•Glass fiber reinforced sole and dual injection flexible nylon-polyurethane outer sole transfers your energy straight to the pedals
•Breathable mesh with polyurethane coated synthetic leather upper for a comfortable fit on long rides
•Micro-adjust buckle & dual off-set straps securely holds foot and allows subtle adjustments
•Off-set straps prevents pressure points
•Extra-long cutable straps allows for personal comfprt & preference
•Composite toe spikes increases in sand or loose dirt

Shimano SH-M161G

•Tough synthetic leather upper with low-profile armor provides foot protection and excellent durability
•Carbon reinforced shank plate for optimum sole rigidity
•Volume+ last for a more accommodating toe box
•Shock absorbing EVA cushion matched with a flexible midsole for hike-able comfort
•Multi function rubber outsole for performance in varied conditions
•Micro-adjust buckle & dual off-set straps securely holds foot and allows subtle adjustments
•Extra-long cutable straps allows for personal comfort & preference
•Replaceable toe spikes increases traction in sand or loose dirt

Price looks about the same, and fit seems similar. Mainly just for XC and trail use. I am looking to stay in the $150-175 range.

My LBS mainly has shimano gear, but if they are substantially better would the Spec BG Comp or BG Expert have anything more to offer.....or just personal taste??
BG Comp
BG Expert

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I got the Specialized comp, because they fit me better than the Shimano's. I was also intrigued by the BG concept. I've liked them. no issues.

They are all very similar. I would look for fit, comfort, and sole stiffness. Other than that, it's just about weight.

·
Stay thirsty my friends
885 Posts
Some people don't care for the odd angles some of these shoes put your foot in while pedaling, you should try them on before purchasing and make sure you have enough arch support and there are no pinch points. Wear them around the store for a bit, if you can't walk in them comfortably don't buy them.

Its a shoe, buy what fits you and gives you the ventilation you want, unless you like wet feet I would stay away from the mesh bodied versions.

·
Tool
1,973 Posts
I have the Shimano M225 and I love them. In fact, when I saw they were being discontinued, I bought a second pair. The 182 appear very similar to the 225 - I wouldn't hesitiate to buy them if they fit well.

-Pete

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Go for fit. Try them on.

I was lucky and found a really nice pair of Shimanos in a clearance sale. They fit me perfectly and I tend to be pretty picky about shoes. Don't know how they'd fit you.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tried them on and felt about the same, so that is why I am looking at the differences. Just got word from my LBS saying that shimano was discontinuing the m182's and being replaced with the m161. Guess that answers that comparison.

·
Registered
424 Posts
shimano m161 shoe

i have the m161,

really comfortable shoe, the most comfortable show i have ever owned
also to consider i have a wide foot
stiff sole
replacement ratchet is a plus
has stood up to 1 season's riding without any damage or noticable wear

it is pretty subjective, you gotta go with what feels right to you
but if these fit you well, they are defenetly durable and fit the bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.