Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I know most of ya here are heavy duty enthusiast's but I just like to ride.
I have a couple of older 7spd MTB's with one needing major running gear changes as well the shifter/brake pods. I only plan to ride casually and need to keep within a narrow budget for now. I see many reasonably priced 8spd pods, cogs etc. for relatively cheap compared to any vintage 7spds so my question is "will the 8spd pods work with the 7spd gear?" At least until I get the new cogs, crankset and derailleur.
Thanks guys,
Larry

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
lgchristianson said:
Hi All,
I have a couple of older 7spd MTB's with one needing major running gear changes as well the shifter/brake pods. I only plan to ride casually and need to keep within a narrow budget for now. I see many reasonably priced 8spd pods, cogs etc. for relatively cheap compared to any vintage 7spds so my question is "will the 8spd pods work with the 7spd gear?" At least until I get the new cogs, crankset and derailleur.
Thanks guys,
Larry
Larry, you can pick up a good set of brand new 7-speed shifters/levers on eBay for $36 + shipping. If the rest of your bike is working fine this is the cheapest way to keep riding it as a 7-speed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42330&item=3690144377&rd=1

DX components were between XT and LX back in the day. I bought a set just to have (just in case), but I have an unnatural affinity for DX components.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
laffeaux said:
Larry, you can pick up a good set of brand new 7-speed shifters/levers on eBay for $36 + shipping. If the rest of your bike is working fine this is the cheapest way to keep riding it as a 7-speed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42330&item=3690144377&rd=1

DX components were between XT and LX back in the day. I bought a set just to have (just in case), but I have an unnatural affinity for DX components.
Thanks laffeaux,
I think what I'm going to do is transfer my 7spd Alivio gear from the better bike and install Deore DX 7spd. in it's place. I picked up a set of Brake/Shifters on eBay but still need the derailleurs. Should I be concerned with the cogs or anything else? The cheaper of the two bikes had 100-GS gear which I understand to be the bottom end of Shimano but the frame is chrome molly and in great shape.
Any input would be helpful.
Larry

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
lgchristianson said:
Thanks laffeaux,
I think what I'm going to do is transfer my 7spd Alivio gear from the better bike and install Deore DX 7spd. in it's place. I picked up a set of Brake/Shifters on eBay but still need the derailleurs. Should I be concerned with the cogs or anything else? The cheaper of the two bikes had 100-GS gear which I understand to be the bottom end of Shimano but the frame is chrome molly and in great shape.
Any input would be helpful.
Larry
Most any derailler (that was made after '86 or so) will shift a 7-speed set up. Look for anything that you can pick up for cheap. For rear deraillers, if it's used, hold the body in your hand, and try and move the cage back and forths. If there is a lot of slop, don't buy it, but if there is little movement, it will shift fine. You should be able to pick up a set of used LX or DX deraillers for cheap.

There's no way to know if your cogs are worn without seeing them. If their profile looks like a shark's fin, they're worn.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Educate Me! lol

laffeaux said:
Most any derailler (that was made after '86 or so) will shift a 7-speed set up. Look for anything that you can pick up for cheap. For rear deraillers, if it's used, hold the body in your hand, and try and move the cage back and forths. If there is a lot of slop, don't buy it, but if there is little movement, it will shift fine. You should be able to pick up a set of used LX or DX deraillers for cheap.

There's no way to know if your cogs are worn without seeing them. If their profile looks like a shark's fin, they're worn.
I can see I'm in for a real education here....
Was poking around on eBay and found a bunch of derailleurs...
Then noticed there are different mounting diameters, dang!
I went out and measured the two frame tubes where the front derailleur mounts and they are both very close to 1/8" which I assume them to be unless there is a standard size in mm close to that.... am I correct in my assumptions?
L

·
Registered
59 Posts
why yes you can!

lgchristianson said:
Hi All,
Thanks guys,
Larry
Hi Larry,

I don't know if anyone's actually answered the actual question for you but the answer is YES.

Shimano 8 speed shifters will work with the your 7 speed system (provided they are shimano). When shimano moved up to 8 speed the rear hubs were increased from 130mm to 135mm which made space for the 8th gear.

My girlfriend's bike currently has a 7 speed cassette (with a spacer on an 135mm spaced hub) and it works fine with 8 speed shifters. You just have to make sure you set the rear derailleur limit correctly so it won't touch the spokes and you'll never be able to get to that final '8th' gear.

·
Registered
184 Posts
kmltick said:
Hi Larry,

I don't know if anyone's actually answered the actual question for you but the answer is YES.

...SNIP...

You just have to make sure you set the rear derailleur limit correctly so it won't touch the spokes and you'll never be able to get to that final '8th' gear.
Even better is the way I set up the 8-speed bar-ends on my touring bike. Set the upper limit screw without the cable attached. Put the shifter into the 7th click, and tighten the cable. You end up with an 8th click that just makes the cable slacker if you shift into it.

I'd rather have that than torquing my derailleur hard into the lower stop, possibly bending a hanger or snapping a cable, if you accidentally overshifted into 0th gear on a steep climb.

FWIW, this setup indexes beautifully with a 9-speed LX RD and a 7 speed Sach ARIS freewheel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tube_ee said:
Even better is the way I set up the 8-speed bar-ends on my touring bike. Set the upper limit screw without the cable attached. Put the shifter into the 7th click, and tighten the cable. You end up with an 8th click that just makes the cable slacker if you shift into it.

I'd rather have that than torquing my derailleur hard into the lower stop, possibly bending a hanger or snapping a cable, if you accidentally overshifted into 0th gear on a steep climb.

FWIW, this setup indexes beautifully with a 9-speed LX RD and a 7 speed Sach ARIS freewheel.
Hi Tube,
That's the answer I was looking for.
For the type of riding I do I think the two bikes will be ideal as they are setup slightly different. The GT has the knobby tires and curved handlebar while the Fuji has smooth tires and straight handlebar. The Fuji is a cheaper model but has chrome molley frame and was tossed out so free to me. I figure it's worth spending a few bucks on to make it ridable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kmltick said:
Hi Larry,

Shimano 8 speed shifters will work with the your 7 speed system (provided they are shimano). When shimano moved up to 8 speed the rear hubs were increased from 130mm to 135mm which made space for the 8th gear.

My girlfriend's bike currently has a 7 speed cassette (with a spacer on an 135mm spaced hub) and it works fine with 8 speed shifters. You just have to make sure you set the rear derailleur limit correctly so it won't touch the spokes and you'll never be able to get to that final '8th' gear.
Cool kml, I think I can get it together now, been missing riding this summer and it's half over.
Larry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts