Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a used hub, the guy said it worked.... :-(
Looking at the parts layout I see No way that pulling on the cable will change gears as the cable is connected to a square tooth gear that simply rotates on the centre shaft and has Zero way to move Anything either in and out or round the shaft itself ?
Any polite thoughts welcome.

·
Candlestick Maker
3,563 Posts
Google nexus 7 cassette joint. Several videos on youtube that show how to install/adjust. If the hub came without the joint, you can order the required parts for cheap online.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have all the parts mate, I just cannot see how it can possibly change gears.....the cable joint rotates as the cable is pulled.....there appears to be no way the cable can return to the handlebar unit cos there are no springs or mechanism.......as far as the rotating unit, it simply rotates a square toothed gear that has zero mechanism to transfer rotational energy into the hub.... I have Googled and watched video’s until I’m going crazy......no one actually shows how the mechanism works !
I have also printed out many pages of Shimano manuals and parts lists and None of them show how that area functions. Thanks for replying anyway !

·
Candlestick Maker
3,563 Posts
Take a look at these 2 vids and see if they help. Also, the anti-rotation washers are key to getting the Nexus hubs to function. I think this is the kind of thing that is easy to show someone, but hard to explain. I'm a wee bit far away to help in that regard...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, seen them both before mate.....thanks for forwarding the links anyway !! The part that I find confusing is the square toothed gear that those parts he demonstrates fit onto....that gear appears to have no way to activate anything inside the hub, It doesn’t seem to move in or out along the shaft, or rotate anything on the shaft ! My other issue is when turning the handlebar gear selector there is no mechanism for the returning the cable towards the handlebar control.......I’ve played with a friends 11 speed hub and it seems to have a return spring for that function......mine doesn’t.

·
Music & Bikes
1,652 Posts
1st link posted earlier , @ 1:20 is the part that turns and shifts , the return spring is there , inside the hub. If not , it's broken.

The return spring is the major problem with Shimano design ,one of the reason why I got rid of my Alfine

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.