Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Reformed car junkie
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know anything about this POS freewheel. More specificly, how do I get the stupid thing off. It dosnt have the normal 4 recess deal that normal freewheels have. It has 2 slots that are 180* from each other and are like 1/8 inch wide.
I have a race comming up that i need to change gearing for, but im stumped on how to get it off. Used plenty of anti-seize when putting it on, so at least thats going for me.
Any idea at all?? Thanks.
Oh yeah, i woundt recomend this freewheel, its only got 2 pawls.

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
SandmanLJS said:
Anyone know anything about this POS freewheel. More specificly, how do I get the stupid thing off. It dosnt have the normal 4 recess deal that normal freewheels have. It has 2 slots that are 180* from each other and are like 1/8 inch wide.
I have a race comming up that i need to change gearing for, but im stumped on how to get it off. Used plenty of anti-seize when putting it on, so at least thats going for me.
Any idea at all?? Thanks.
Oh yeah, i woundt recomend this freewheel, its only got 2 pawls.
I've had to cut one freewheel off before, and it was that one. I visited at least a dozen bike shops, and none had the proper tool to remove it either for sale or in their own set of tools. I gave up and busted out my Dremel and cutting wheel.

Even if you can find the proper tool, IIRC, the notched "shoulders" are so thin that I believe they'd get destroyed as you try to unscrew it off.

I can't believe these are being sold. It seems to me that these freewheels are made for kids bikes with training wheels. Once you put it on, expect to never take it off.

·
Reformed car junkie
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Drevil said:
I've had to cut one freewheel off before, and it was that one. I visited at least a dozen bike shops, and none had the proper tool to remove it either for sale or in their own set of tools. I gave up and busted out my Dremel and cutting wheel.

Even if you can find the proper tool, IIRC, the notched "shoulders" are so thin that I believe they'd get destroyed as you try to unscrew it off.

I can't believe these are being sold. It seems to me that these freewheels are made for kids bikes with training wheels. Once you put it on, expect to never take it off.
I think your right dosnt seem like its ment to come off, it was super easy to rebuild at least. I hope i dont have to cut it off, id like to be able to use it again after the race as the race gearing would be WAY to low for where i usualy ride.
The "sholders" are really thin, again I agree with you, I kinda messed one up yesterday. I found a lock ring wrench that would actually fit, but again that slot is so small there was nothing for the wrench to grab hold of.

That park tool looks like it MAY work, but the little prongs look to think for this stupid freewheel. Thanks. And never ever buy this freewheel. I need to get a set of ENO cranks and freewheel and stop this messing around.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If all else fails, stick the freewheel in a vise. Clamp down hard enough to crush it so that it won't freewheel anymore and then just spin it off. I used to do it all the time with 15t Bmx freewheels. There is a chance that you could damage the hub threads, however i never had any issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.