Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
mbtr member
6,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
tl;dr- it looks like the scylence mechanism is still in place in the new shimano hubs, but they've prevented it from functioning by adding a spacer to prevent the mechanism from disengaging and not lubing the sliding assembly.

I mentioned this in a previous thread, but i thought it was interesting enough to give it's own topic.

I have a new superboost XT hub- this guy.
HU2473.jpg
Shimano XT FH-M8130-B

I ordered it the week it became available from Q. It would softly buzz like you'd expect (since scylence was cancelled), but if you were moving along at a good clip, or you backpedaled, it would go silent. At the time i was not aware that this wasn't typical behavior, but it isn't.

After ~250 miles my rear end started making tons of noise, like the spokes were creaking under higher intensity efforts. I did an exhaustive effort to find the culprit, including disassembling the hub. It looked perfect. Couldn't figure it out.

A couple days ago i took the hub apart again, this time with an exploded diagram to check myself. I was missing this spacer-
slider.JPG
I can't say with 100% certainty that i didn't drop it when i dismantled the hub for the first time, but i now know that my hub going silent at a certain speed was not normal behavior.

I ignored the huge warnings in the tech docs and PRINTED ON THE HUB INTERNALS that said to never lube the engagement mechanism, and dribbled some triflow in there. My hub now behaves like scylence was advertised to- quick engagement and total silence. It's awesome.

I don't know for sure (there's virtually no information about new shimano hubs available), but it looks like shimano kept the scylence drive mechanism, but is relying on the 'stickiness' of the drive plates and that spacer to prevent the hub from disengaging. Since my spacer was missing, the unlubricated drive plates could separate under the right conditions and eventually started to creak.

I have no idea why shimano decided to scrap scylence at the last moment, or do it with this seemingly kludge solution. I have 2 rides with the hub set up this way and it's glorious. I'm gonna see how it goes, warranty be damned. I'm very good at breaking hubs under high torque efforts and ride several times per week, so it should be interesting.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
What if they scrapped it because fresh oil is absolutely required to maintain operation?

That would be the best outcome. No one likes to maintain hubs, so maybe it's a preemptive strike for long term low maintenance.

I want these hubs to be solid so badly! Definitely watching!

·
Registered
690 Posts
You can drop the name "Scylence", because it is scrapped. They replaced it with this DT-Swiss-like ratchet, which has no apparent special naming.

I can imagine that it is relativily quiet, just like a freshly greased DT hub, but it should at least make SOME noise :)

·
mbtr member
6,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What if they scrapped it because fresh oil is absolutely required to maintain operation?

That would be the best outcome. No one likes to maintain hubs, so maybe it's a preemptive strike for long term low maintenance.

I want these hubs to be solid so badly! Definitely watching!
That wouldn't surprise me. I could see them not finding a lube that behaved well in all temps that lasted long enough. It's so strange that they brought it right up to production, and then neutered an interesting feature and are pretending the hub doesn't exist. It's a really nicely built hub, even without the silent operation. Assuming it's reliable it should steal all the hope/dt350 sales.

You can drop the name "Scylence", because it is scrapped. They replaced it with this DT-Swiss-like ratchet, which has no apparent special naming.

I can imagine that it is relativily quiet, just like a freshly greased DT hub, but it should at least make SOME noise :)
lol you didn't understand the thread at all, did you?

·
Registered
636 Posts
How's this experiment going?

Shimano's dealer manuals show only one apparent change to the hub assembly--

Original for XTR:

New for XTR:

A very small spacer in the lower part of the drawing, different from the one marked. (The new XT hub does not have this spacer.) They also added a small hook to the small of the two springs.

Original: DM-MAHB001-00-ENG.pdf
New: DM-MAHB001-07-ENG.pdf

The assembly order for the freehub has also changed slightly, though not to obvious consequence.

Attachments

·
mbtr member
6,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How's this experiment going?
Nothing to report. It's working flawlessly, but i don't have enough miles on it to make any sort of proclamation. I'd like to get 2-3k on it before i say anything at all, and with covid i've been backpacking solo rather than riding mtb. Sad times.

Thanks for adding the exploded diagrams to the thread!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

After going for a Shimano wheel for reliability, I've also been hit by a failing XT 8100 micro spline freehub.

On inspection the strange plastic spacer ring with the 'fingers' seems to have broken and been completely pulverized , clogging every thing up with a find dust. Also what shimano call the 'slider' ring was missing. The ratchet mechanism is no worn in places, and on cleaning and rebuild the hub is working a little better but it will fail again soon.

I want to get a replacement freehub kit under warranty (without sending the wheel back!), this may take some time however and I want to get the bike online again ASAP.

I'm thinking of taking a hit and getting an SLX microspline hub then swapping out the free hub internals. Anyone know if the internals are exactly the same? - visually they seem so?

Cheers Matt

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Does anybody know why that toothed spacer exists? I can’t help but think it was an afterthought or perhaps was put in place when Shimano officially abandoned scylence. Seems that the bit that it nests against could instead be machined as a single piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
available SLX new hub

Matt, if you are in the US, I have a new in box SLX microspline hub I'll sell for $70 plus shipping. I'm in Denver in case you are local.
Good luck either way man.

I just built a Spank Trail 395+ with XTR hubs and am expecting to have this issue but hoping not to :)
At least they have a 3 year warranty but bites as rebuilding isn't fun anymore.

·
Rides all the bikes!
3,822 Posts
My bike came with an XTR hub and it will go silent when coasting on occasion. It was owned by a high level Pro rider, so maybe she got an early pre production version?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Nothing to report. It's working flawlessly, but i don't have enough miles on it to make any sort of proclamation. I'd like to get 2-3k on it before i say anything at all, and with covid i've been backpacking solo rather than riding mtb. Sad times.

Thanks for adding the exploded diagrams to the thread!
I may have missed it, haven't fully read to the bottom yet. Is it still working well, and most importantly is it still quiet? I have the SLX hub and I was thinking I'd tear it down and maintenance it over the winter. First shimano hub I haven't torn down from brand new; I'm happy with it, but the noise is a little off, but not bad.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts