Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Beemer2
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess by now everyone knows about the recall Shimano has done for QR's on several different models of their front hubs (no rears affected). My XT front hub was in the recall so, as requested by Shimano, I stopped riding and called them. I was told that they really want to get you on the road quickly so all you need to do is take your bike or wheel with QR to the dealer you bought it from, or a local dealer that is willing to help you, so that they can call Shimano and tell them that you really have one of the bad ones. I bought my wheel set from Blue Sky in Calif. and I live in south Louisiana. The local dealer didn't want to get involved (Shimano dealer) since I didn't buy the wheel from him. Shimano thinks I can return mine to them (I pay freight) and then they will send me a replacement (they think). This could take up to two weeks assuming they get off of their asses and move. I waited two months for a cheap little freehub on my Garyfisher (in warranty) because of paper work, this past January and February, that's why I bought the new wheels. My point is, has Shimano gotten too big to help the customers that made them big in the first place. Maybe Sram (which is on my new Jamis and I love) will knock off Shimano in the biking world, with better customer service.:madman: Any other bad experiences with Shimano?

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
take the time that you would have to pack those items up, pay shipping one way (more time, as time=$), time off the bike and multiply that by what you make an hour. add the 5 minutes for making a point of making an ass of shimano, who cannot possibly keep up with the demands of thier customers and oila!

you have wasted enough time to buy some bligilicious Salsa skewers.:)

·
Beemer2
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update! Shimano cannot ship the skewer direct to me, they will have to send it to a dealer of my choice where I will have to go pick it up. The dealers are paid a small fee for handling these types of transactions so Shimano doesn't want to piss anyone off.

·
In exile
542 Posts
Funny - Shimano is one of few mfgs that will actually do warranty direct. If your shop wouldn't help because you bought the wheel somewhere else, you either don't have any relationship, or should burn the shop down.

I have never had troubles with Shimano. BTW - call Sram for tiny incidental parts some time.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Beemer2 said:
I guess by now everyone knows about the recall Shimano has done for QR's on several different models of their front hubs (no rears affected). My XT front hub was in the recall so, as requested by Shimano, I stopped riding and called them. I was told that they really want to get you on the road quickly so all you need to do is take your bike or wheel with QR to the dealer you bought it from, or a local dealer that is willing to help you, so that they can call Shimano and tell them that you really have one of the bad ones. I bought my wheel set from Blue Sky in Calif. and I live in south Louisiana. The local dealer didn't want to get involved (Shimano dealer) since I didn't buy the wheel from him. Shimano thinks I can return mine to them (I pay freight) and then they will send me a replacement (they think). This could take up to two weeks assuming they get off of their asses and move. I waited two months for a cheap little freehub on my Garyfisher (in warranty) because of paper work, this past January and February, that's why I bought the new wheels. My point is, has Shimano gotten too big to help the customers that made them big in the first place. Maybe Sram (which is on my new Jamis and I love) will knock off Shimano in the biking world, with better customer service.:madman: Any other bad experiences with Shimano?
My experience went like this.. saw the recall, called Shimano told him I had one of the recalled skewers read the model # off XT 756 told him I got them from bluesky, and that there was no sticker, and that I purchased them in the last 3 months. He said "ok go to one of your local bike shops that is listed on their site as a Shimano dealer so they can verify it." I called ahead to make sure they were aware of the recall, they were aware but didn't know what they were supposed to do, so I called Rob back and let him know what they said. He said "Give me their # and I will talk to them, and call you back" 3 minutes go by Rob calls back and says "OK we are gonna beat the system cause we want to get you back riding as soon as possible, so here is what we are going to do. I will verify it right now over the phone so you don't have to bring the skewer to your local bike shop. Your skewer is on back order right now so we are going to send the next model up XT skewer 2 day air to your local bike shop for you to pick up to get you back on the trails, and when your model XT skewer comes in we will ship that out to you as well...

so the moral of the story is. ask for Rob when you call...lol

j/k just go to another bike shop.. they are almost all shimano dealers... make a few calls..

they get $5 just to say to Shimano "yep it is a bad one", they hand you the bad skewer when you go to pick it up, take your bad one put it in the box the new one came in, and slap the prepaid sticker on the box, and send it on its way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.