Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Pedal Pusher
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Do you prefer Shimano or Sram? Cause i am thinking to either stick with Shimano or swap it all out for Sram. The reason I am thinking is because i havnt had to good of luck with Shimano. I had Sram on my other bike and it worked great! So let me know...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
159 Posts
From my experience, Sram is quite as durable as Shimano, because of that I stick with. However thats just me and everyone is going to say some different, based on their own personal experience. They are probably equal in most cases.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I used to run an XT on my Epic and there were never really any major problems, but i had to tune it up all the time. I bought an x9 and it works great but one day it went into the spokes for no appearent reason and it got shredded. I bought another one and was riding again later that week. I like sram better though because overall its more reliable.

·
I Love my Rize
830 Posts
Check this out

Hijacked this from the Sram forum.
Sram all the way.

·
~I Ride In Circles ~
1,629 Posts
danoalb said:
Hijacked this from the Sram forum.
Sram all the way.

wow... Kinda makes me wish I would have went X9 instead of getting my XT derailleur.. But I don't and didn't have the extra cash to get new trigger shifters and such at the same time.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The SRAM mech doesn't move as much because it doesn't have a pivot there - its a bit of a loaded video if you ask me.

If you look closely at that vid, you'll see there really isn't much (any?) difference in how much the chain actually moves, which is what actually matters.

·
I Love my Rize
830 Posts
You blind?

PeterThomas said:
The SRAM mech doesn't move as much because it doesn't have a pivot there - its a bit of a loaded video if you ask me.

If you look closely at that vid, you'll see there really isn't much (any?) difference in how much the chain actually moves, which is what actually matters.
Sram is barely detectable and the Shimano is bouncing wildly which can result in chain jumping cogs under rough terrian. My Shimano use to bounce out of gear all the time. And as far as chain movement the XO has MUCH LESS. I get 90% less chain slap with my X9. Huge difference.

·
Registered
93 Posts
danoalb said:
Sram is barely detectable and the Shimano is bouncing wildly which can result in chain jumping cogs under rough terrian. My Shimano use to bounce out of gear all the time. And as far as chain movement the XO has MUCH LESS. I get 90% less chain slap with my X9. Huge difference.
I agree the SRAM derailleur moves a lot less than the Shimano -- but, like I said before, there really isn't much difference in how much the CHAIN moves.

Perhaps I'm biased because I haven't been very impressed with the durability of my current SRAM stuff (on two different bikes), so I'm probably going back to Shimano next time. Shimano's cheaper like-for-like and holds up better (in my experience).

I wouldn't say theres much difference in performance between the two - Shimano is smoother and requires a lighter touch, SRAM is clickier. Some prefer one way, some the other. If you happen to have a bike where the mech doesn't have much clearance (like an FSR), SRAM will be quieter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.