Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Pedal Pusher
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. On my other bike I had Sram all around. I didnt have any problems exept i had to replace a chain due to normal wear and tear. But on my Kona the rear Shimano hub, or the thing that the gears go on, just went out on me. I havent even had the bike for a year. On my other bike, which is way older, I never had to do that. But on my older bike i sold it a while back on Ebay to get my Kona.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Sram all the way for chains. Their deraillerus don't slap the chainstay like Shimano ones I have used, and I have had great luck with their cassettes too. Not to mention it seems like they are a better value.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I've had no problems with Shimano gear. I've had one cassette wear out (about 4 years on it), no broken chains, 2 worn out rings (again, 4 years abuse), one broken derailleur (XT from a big crash, I fixed it by stealing tab off another old derailleur. I definitely think the shifting can be finicky at times, but once it is tuned well it is unstoppable. I'm talking XT and XTR level here, I have had less experience, but no problems with LX/Deore.

Sram XO seems waaaaaay too pricey, especially in countries other than the States. I don't think an XO derailleur is twice as good as an XTR, XTR looks better too.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Personally I've had less luck with SRAM than Shimano.

I've had more issues with my SRAM kit in the last 18months than I had in the previous 10 years with Shimano. I like the ergonomics of the shifters but SRAM just isn't as durable in my experience.

Over here in the UK SRAM is quite a bit pricier than Shimano too (typically X.9 is 30+% more than XT and X.0 makes XTR look cheap)

Now that Shimano are bringing out their new SRAM-style trigger shifters I'll probably go Shimano next time.

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
I've had good luck with both Shimano and SRAM. Shifters, DRs, chains, cassettes, the works. Shimano LX hubs lasted over 5 years.

The only things that haven't worked well were a Deore front derailleur, and an X.7 front derailleur, so it's even on that front too.

·
President Skroob
499 Posts
I have XTR on my racer and X.9 on my 29er and have had zero mechanical problems with both. I use Rohloff chains. I live in Phoenix with desert style terrain.

I will say though that Shimano gear is picky by the mm. Any small change in anything will throw off your shifting a bit. I have beaten on the Sram stuff for a while with no need other than the cables stretching which is normal for new gear. I actually performed the adjustment right on the trail and it shifted perfectly after that. I am intermediate and have to spend about twice the time getting the Shimano stuff to work right. Shimano is high maintenance, but I am talking extra minutes only.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i never used to have probs until the last couple years, it just seems shimno has some quality issues. i am a meticulous mech and been riding for many years and have recently switched to all sram drive train.....luv it nuff said

·
less is more
823 Posts
Shimano All The Way

I will never have a bike w/out Rapid Fire Plus. Sram is so awkward compared to RF+. And Grip Shift is clumsy & notchy next to smooth Shimano Rapid Fire. Look at who makes parts for the Tour de France, etc. Sram ain't in the mix.

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
venus1 said:
I will never have a bike w/out Rapid Fire Plus. Sram is so awkward compared to RF+. And Grip Shift is clumsy & notchy next to smooth Shimano Rapid Fire. Look at who makes parts for the Tour de France, etc. Sram ain't in the mix.
5 bucks says this year you'll see Force groups on about 20% of TDF bikes.

Can't be in it if you don't make the parts yet. :rolleyes:

Oh, and I prefer SRAM shifters and derailleurs. Shimano cranks and cassettes. Wippermann chains.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
PeterThomas said:
Personally I've had less luck with SRAM than Shimano.

I've had more issues with my SRAM kit in the last 18months than I had in the previous 10 years with Shimano. I like the ergonomics of the shifters but SRAM just isn't as durable in my experience.

Over here in the UK SRAM is quite a bit pricier than Shimano too (typically X.9 is 30+% more than XT and X.0 makes XTR look cheap)

Now that Shimano are bringing out their new SRAM-style trigger shifters I'll probably go Shimano next time.
just got the 07 xtr shifters, totaly amazing, once you try them youll never go back

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
dan0 said:
just got the 07 xtr shifters, totaly amazing, once you try them youll never go back
I switched to SRAM X.0 after being disappointed with Shimano over and over. I've tried the new XTR. It's nothing to write home about, and certainly not getting me to swap back.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.