Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thumbs up on the new Shimano Hubs. For less than $200....great buy.

Just got my first spin on my new MT900/Ibis 742 wheels yesterday with Bontrager XR4/SE4 tires.

Love them. the hubs roll for EVER. Much less drag than the Hopes I had and a millions times better than the I9s.

Engagement is great. I really can't imagine needing more. Much better than Hopes or they feel that way. I forget the actuall engagement number Less than I9, but not enough to notice.

Durability remains to be seen. Total weight with laser Spokes, tapes and valved: 1615g.

The tires so far are great. I was only riding park trails and the berms were a mix of hard dirt and loose dirt in the troughs and I had no complaints. I replaced DHR/DHRF which I felt where to draggy and slow for my riding style. I think I'm not aggressive enough for that combo.

I'll get a proper ride with a mix of ups and downs in our more regular looser soil conditions here in VT.

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
Thanks for the report. Can you disassemble the freehub mechanism and take pics?

The MT901-B is 255g and the XT M8110-B is 308g. So the XT must have a steel axle but the specs list aluminum. I'm not sure how they're packing on 50 grams.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

The MT901-B is 255g and the XT M8110-B is 308g. So the XT must have a steel axle but the specs list aluminum. I'm not sure how they're packing on 50 grams.
Could be a while before I have the time to drop the wheel and take it apart, but I'll do my best.

I took the bike out for a proper trail ride and came away very please again. These wheels spin so well. I didn't know what i was missing. The bearings may prove to be a pain, but we'll see. If a once a year maintenance gets me this kid of (lack of ) drag then I'm sold of plain vanilla Shimano hubs.

I purposely hit few tech sections to play with the engagement and, again, I missed nothing there. The wheels kicked as soon as I needed it to make adjustments and get up and over obstacles.

As previously stated...I love the quieter hubs. I love I9, products and company, but the lack of sound if really nice.

I don't know where the weight is hiding in the XT hubs. Maybe a combination of the shell, axle and cassette body? Just different materials.

·
The Fastest of Bananas
1,792 Posts

It's the TI freehub body

Also, you dont want to take apart these unless it's time for maintenance, as they are cup and cone and honestly not worth the effort.

Taking the mechanism is a pain, and requires special tools that are not common.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
The Fastest of Bananas
1,792 Posts
The new freehub bodies are ALUMINUM.

But I'm entertaining the idea that they made the XT version steel just so it would be heavier.
Oops.

Well, it must be just internal stuff. For cup and cone bearings, the XTR hubs are quite light for what they are. They are under appreciated for sure.

Though, I had a M9000 series with a lot of freehub play. Enough to throw it out.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
So, I am not quite sure if I have the code numbers right, but for the previous generation shimano xtr wheels (m9000 I believe, m9010 for the free hub), can one simply remove this freehub and place the 12 speed microspline (m9110 I believe) in its place or is there wheel dish issues etc?
I have an unused xtr 27.5 non boost wheelset and have been trying to put them to good use on a good deal on a banshee spitfire or knolly endorphin which can use the 142x12. I have found the frame and now have a hankering to put a new XT 12 speed on it whcih is quite cost effective groupset, assuming I can use my existing wheelset with just a change in the non micro to microspline.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, I am not quite sure if I have the code numbers right, but for the previous generation shimano xtr wheels (m9000 I believe, m9010 for the free hub), can one simply remove this freehub and place the 12 speed microspline (m9110 I believe) in its place or is there wheel dish issues etc?
I have an unused xtr 27.5 non boost wheelset and have been trying to put them to good use on a good deal on a banshee spitfire or knolly endorphin which can use the 142x12. I have found the frame and now have a hankering to put a new XT 12 speed on it whcih is quite cost effective groupset, assuming I can use my existing wheelset with just a change in the non micro to microspline.
Totally new hub. No backwards compatibility. Intervals are all new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.