Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I was thinking of buying a set of 970's for my Nomad and replacing the big ring with a bash guard... has anyone done this yet? Photos?

Thanks in advance,

Shep

·
Registered
297 Posts
Why ????

The new XTR stuff is optimized for racing>>> light weight , etc etc .
Seems like a total waste of money if youre putting a bash on it. Might as well get 3 XT cranks for the same money , I dare anyone to tell the diff.
Cheers

·
Registered
485 Posts
I've got a saint bash ring on mine. fit great and looks awesome. XTR is not only for XC racing anymore. Shimano even makes a 20mm thru axle hub for the new group. there is no problem freeriding the new group. give it a try.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks Dover, exactly what I was going to say about the the new. DH racers use XTR... I wouldn't be surprised if you see most of the top racers running those for the weight advantage. The old 952 crankset was a staple for every DH'er back in the day...

Dover, can you post some pics??

thanks!
Shep

·
Registered
485 Posts
XTR FC-M970 w/ Saint bashguard

philshep said:
thanks Dover, exactly what I was going to say about the the new. DH racers use XTR... I wouldn't be surprised if you see most of the top racers running those for the weight advantage. The old 952 crankset was a staple for every DH'er back in the day...

Dover, can you post some pics??

thanks!
Shep
here's the picture

·
Registered
485 Posts
yes, slightly

soslow said:
So it looks like you had to modify the bashgaurd to make it fit. Is this true?
the Saint cranks arm and the XTR crank arm have slightly different profiles. if you look closely you can see where I filed the bash guarda bit. just where the bash guard and the crank arm meet, took me about 3 minutes to file the extra material away.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Dover said:
the Saint cranks arm and the XTR crank arm have slightly different profiles. if you look closely you can see where I filed the bash guarda bit. just where the bash guard and the crank arm meet, took me about 3 minutes to file the extra material away.

That's what I thought. I bought one and it wouldn't fit so I figured you had to file it some. I'll give it a go. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Dover said:

ah.. I see it now... cool! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.