Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got a set of XT PD-m8000 pedals (Ebay) and am curious if these are just badly finished. The powdercoating/Ano/whatever it is appears almost chalky.
The box is obviously not for US markets.
Anybody else ever seen this type of finish? They are steel (unlike some counterfeit ones on Amazon, alloy) but I am suspect.
I compared them to a very worn out set of M8000 I currently have and besides the finish (stamping on the cleats is slightly different...but I haven't replaced cleats, bought new pedals in years) These "japan" versions also had a type of warranty card?

IMG_9527.jpg
IMG_9529.jpg
IMG_9530.jpg

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
5,733 Posts
don't know what your issue is

all my XT shimano cleats look like that new

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying with your experience, I also received an email from the seller. Figured I would share just in case anyone ever comes across something similar. Not sure I am going to keep the pedals based on the finish.

Thanks for your question.

Hello, regarding your question, it is stated on the outside of the package that the pedals are manufactured by the Malaysian factory. Because the production area and the target sales country are different, the material will be slightly different. You can rest assured that the product you have purchased is correct.

·
Registered
9,439 Posts
Thanks for replying with your experience, I also received an email from the seller. Figured I would share just in case anyone ever comes across something similar. Not sure I am going to keep the pedals based on the finish.

Thanks for your question.

Hello, regarding your question, it is stated on the outside of the package that the pedals are manufactured by the Malaysian factory. Because the production area and the target sales country are different, the material will be slightly different. You can rest assured that the product you have purchased is correct.
You may not use these because of the finish on the cleat on the bottom of your foot? Or is there some pics of the actual pedal I am missing?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pedal/Spindle picture

The actual pedal has the same chalky finish, sorry for not posting the pictures earlier. Look at the spindle pics as well....I have never had a pair of Shimano pedals look like that. I had installed them for a second and that is what the 8mm Allen wrench usage caused.

IMG_9539.jpg
IMG_9540.jpg
IMG_9541.jpg
IMG_9542.jpg

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
5,733 Posts
a counterfeit will look no where near as good as that real pedal you are showing.

everything is legit.

from the metal oxide of the cleats to the machining of parts, the metal stamping and logos. in order for someone to copy a pedal that well, it would cost them more than buying real pedals.

--

there are many SPD compatible cheap pedals out there [and not being sold as copies] but you can tell how the manufacturing and tolerances are not as precise

shimano uses hardened tool steel for a lot of parts and it is a ***** to make in the first place. to copy, a counterfeiter will not use the expensive methods

·
Registered
2 Posts
Those are fakes. Real ones should have two cuts on the circle. Please compare to third photo here:
(look at the right, center of the image). Two cuts are clearly seen.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts