Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to undertake a new (my first) SS build, and wanted to get some opinions on what crank to use. I currently have an M737 XT triple installed on the frame that I will be building up. A great crank, no doubt.

But, I also have a M950 XTR spiderless crank and m950 BB. This has been sitting in a parts box for a build for a long time, but that has never materialized.

So I have what I think are two good crank choices, but being a noob to SS and returning to riding for the first time after a decade lay-off, wanted to get some other thoughts on which way I should go.

If it matters, I think I will be starting out trying a 31:15 ratio, on the trails of West Michigan. In the spring I was riding 32:16 and that seemed okay, but I definitely had some "left" too.

Thanks.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Octalink XTRs will be a bunch stiffer than square taper.

I have M952s on my three main bikes and love them.

Save that spider, btw. It's GOLD.

Oddly enough, it's the same spider/chainring. The XT has a slightly thicker base plate, but they are pretty much interchangeable.

Homebrewed Components makes really nice spiderless SS chainrings, and they are not expensive. You do have to wait for them, tho.

·
Ovaries on the Outside
4,425 Posts
Spiderless means without spiders. And, apparently, spiders never have more than five legs.

**** is getting too real.

·
SRAM...Shimano who cares?
98 Posts
Octalink XTRs will be a bunch stiffer than square taper.

I have M952s on my three main bikes and love them.

Save that spider, btw. It's GOLD.

Oddly enough, it's the same spider/chainring. The XT has a slightly thicker base plate, but they are pretty much interchangeable.

Homebrewed Components makes really nice spiderless SS chainrings, and they are not expensive. You do have to wait for them, tho.
Sorry for the drift-

Pimpbot,

Please excuse my ignorance-

What's up with those spiders?

(I have two knocking around in the parts bin, I figured they were junk)

~JRA

1 - 6 of 6 Posts