Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have the specs for Shimano M700 derailleur’s? I am looking for the front and rear gear min/ max and delta limits. I know it is an odd question but I need to know.
Thanks;)

·
nachos rule!
390 Posts
back in the day when i ran 'em i had 24-36-46 into a 14-34 w/ no issues that i recall. not sure what the specs actually were, but that's what worked.

G

·
ibike4fun said:
Does anyone have the specs for Shimano M700 derailleur's? I am looking for the front and rear gear min/ max and delta limits. I know it is an odd question but I need to know.
Thanks;)
from the Shimano Dealer Parts Catalog:

front der (FD-M700) max. 22T, min. 8T (on the der it says "For Alpine Gearing")
rear der (RD-M700) max. rear sprocket 34T, - using SFR fork end (whatever that is); max. front and rear sprocket difference 40T (i think that means front diff. plus rear diff.)

i think the Superplate RD-M700 had a greater capacity but i cannot find it in the catalogs

Edit, found the RD-M700-SP:
max rear sprocket 34T, Total capacity (front difference plus rear difference) 42T or less

Carsten

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a bunch. Back in the day I ran a 26/36/50 w/ a rear 15 to 34 and had no problem, but that was on horizontal drop outs on my Diamond Back. Apparently the vertical drop outs on my Ritchey are causing a problem. The rear derailleur binds up against 34t cog regardless of what’s up front. I have worked on it for a long time and was wondering if I was doing something wrong or if it was never spec’d for my desired set up.
Thanks
:madman:

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
SFR fork end is probably Shimano's vertical dropout.

If the chain is binding against the 34 on your Ritchey, the geometry of the hanger may not match what you had on your D/B. Today, you would simply tighten the B-Tension screw to get more tension on the spring. That derailleur doesn't have a B-Tension screw, but the spring inside the main pivot operates on the same principle. To increase spring tension at that point, you can remove the circlip holding the attachment bolt. The spring fits into a hole inside the derailleur. There may be two holes for the spring - I'm not sure on that generation of Shimano der, but there were two on early XT. If there's not two holes, you can simply drill another hole - match the bit size to the existing hole. You'll need to drill the hole where it will put more tension on the spring - drill the hole only about 3-5mm away from the existing hole either clockwise or counter-clockwise away from the existing hole (I can't remember which way to go now - been a long durn time since I done this). With the new hole drilled, reinstall the spring and reassemble the pivot bolt and circlip - it's a PITA to reassemble but a vice helps to hold it together while you put the circlip back on. The spring tension should now be higher so it will pull the cage and pulley wheel away from the 34t cog.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.