Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
MTBer
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello MTB'rs,

I just got myself a 2012 Trek Rumblefish Elite. Upgraded from a Hardtail, and what a difference!

The bike came with shimano m666 brakes stock. They need replacements soon but I was wondering If I could possibly run bigger rotors? I was looking at shimano's Icetech rotors and they came in a variety of sizes. My question is, can I run lets say 180mm or 200mm rotors on these calipers? Do I need some sort of adapter? I know stocks are 160mm.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Yes, you can use any size rotor on that particular caliper. If you get a larger rotor you're going to need the appropriately sized adapter. Remember that the adapters are often front or rear specific.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get new brake pads and a bleed while you're at it.

·
MTBer
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, you can use any size rotor on that particular caliper. If you get a larger rotor you're going to need the appropriately sized adapter. Remember that the adapters are often front or rear specific.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get new brake pads and a bleed while you're at it.
Thanks for your response! So I can go up to 200mm rotors? And are the adapters model specific (eg. M666) ? Sorry for all the questions, fairly new to all this.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Thanks for your response! So I can go up to 200mm rotors? And are the adapters model specific (eg. M666) ? Sorry for all the questions, fairly new to all this.
I think the common size is 203mm (8in). But yes, as long as you get 203mm front and rear rotors with 203mm front and rear adapters you will be fine.

Adapters aren't model specific but I've had to do a little extra work (shimming) to get other brand adapters to work correctly with differ brand calipers (e.g shimano adapter, juicy 7 brake), ymmv with this.

·
B A N N E D
5,411 Posts
Looks like the bike would have post mounts on the fork and IS mounts on the frame.

Front
180mm rotor = SM-MA-F180P/P2 adapter
203mm rotor = SM-MA-F203P/P adapter

Rear
180mm rotor = SM-MA-R180P/S adapter
203mm rotor = SM-MA-R203P/S adapter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.