Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've picked up a pair of some Shimano Deore M555 32H flangeless hubs new old stock which came out a fair few years ago and didn't really catch on. From what I've read they still use regular elbow bend spokes and can only be laced 3X.

I've found a few pics on google of them laced up to rims but I'm wondering if due to their design they are designed to be laced up without interlacing the final spoke cross as would normally be the case for 3X.

I'm comparing them to an old pair of Mavic Crossrides I've got which have a similar design but with straight pull spokes and they aren't interlaced.

Any opinions on this????

·
transmitter~receiver
9,334 Posts
Shimano could answer this question, but I see no reason they should not be interlaced.
I don't understand why Mavic does not interlace their straight-pull hubs, even though the spokes come within 1-2mm of touching, but I don't understand a lot of stuff Mavic does.
If they were mine, I would interlace them without question.
:thumbsup:
Post a pic once you get them built.

·
Huckin' trails
6,060 Posts
I have this hub laced on my rear disc wheel...

I'll get a look at it and get back to you :)

David

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
I had Mavic CrossRoc wheels that use standard J-Bend hubs and spokes...they didn't interlace those either.

The ones I saw were interlaced, they didn't catch on because they are heavier than the M525's and offer no real advantage other than being able to replace a spoke without removing the disc or cassette.

·
Huckin' trails
6,060 Posts
I had Mavic CrossRoc wheels that use standard J-Bend hubs and spokes...they didn't interlace those either.

The ones I saw were interlaced, they didn't catch on because they are heavier than the M525's and offer no real advantage other than being able to replace a spoke without removing the disc or cassette.
Hey, while you seems to know a tiny bit about that hub... Mine is a FH-M555 in black, 6-bolt disc and 10mm QR. Long story short is my stock hub had the freehub body going nuts and that part was backorder all over the world. So I ended up at my lbs to make me a deal on that hub they had laying around, plus relaxing the wheel. They had to use new spokes on disc side because original ones were too short. So I got a total bill of $66 or so. Now I'm seeking a new RM Slayer frame that has 142x12 rear drop-outs... I've done a bit of research about how it works and I think it should be possible to manufacture some adaptors to use the 135x10 into the 142x12 and make it work ? I have access to machinists and tech sources, but I'll have to create the design on my own mostly. Do you know if I could just swap out the axle or if there is already existing adaptors ? Because I'll be pretty short in money after getting the $1 000+ frame to afford new hub PLUS a wheel rebuild and maybe new spokes too... I know it's not a high quality hub, but I would like to see those $66 of rebuild goes a bit further then only a few miles of ride by now...

And the design looks pretty sweet IMO. Remove the Deore logo and you could easily market it as a super high end exotic hub, like straight pull spokes hub have been when they got popular :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.