Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was shopping for rings for my first generation hollowtech XT cranks when I saw these m530 cranks. Though badged Deore, they look to me to be the XTs that directly preceded the present external bottom bracket iteration. Can anyone back me up?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another question..

I run an ES51 BB with my present cranks. On Jenson, the BB for these cranks is listed as ES51 V2. What's the difference between ES51 and ES51 V2? Would these cranks work with my BB?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was mistaken. I'm running an ES70 BB right now, which Sheldon Brown lists as a V2 octalink bb. So it will work with the m530 cranks. Which, btw, come in near the weight of the present LX once you throw in the BB weight. I guess these cranks are an amalgam of the all that Hollowtech stuff that was considered top flight right before the external bottom bracket thing happened.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lebikerboy said:
The Deore component group is two down from XT...
XT should be lighter,stronger etc.
I know that's the official parts taxonomy from Shimano. Actually, the only constant I can find is that XT means more expensive, not necessarily better performing. We're talking a weight difference of 1.4 oz, 40gm, for crank and BB all together between this Deore set and the present XT. Price difference of about $166. That's $118.57 an ounce. Add in some ambivalence about bearing drag with external bbs in relation to cartridge bbs, and the Deore setup here starts to look pretty enticing, in my opinion. Especially since it costs about the same as replacing the rings on my four year old cranks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.