Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this bike used, so please don't blame me for it. Here's my setup: Deore Hydros (either the 515 or 525) with 8" Hope Gothic rotors. There are washers between the adapter and the caliper because otherwise the edge of the rotor would strike the caliper body.

The main rides I do is a 7 mile fireroad climb. Then you pretty much ride your brakes downhill 90% of the time to get back to the trailhead.

My problems:

1) Lack of modulation. Maybe the rotors are too big, but it feels like the brakes are too strong, even using one finger. I can't seem to modulate the rear brake very well. Basically, the rear locks up pretty easily. I had much better luck with V-brakes, even though it tired my hands out.

2) Rotor rub. It's a pain to align the caliper. Seems like I have to redo it every couple rides. And it seems that the rotors warp a bit after heating up.

To solve problem no. 1, I was thinking of switching to 6" rotors. Would this help with the modulation issue? With the adapters and rotors, this will set me back at least $80.

So, I'm thinking of just getting a pair of 6" BB7s instead for $130. I'm hoping this will solve problems 1 & 2. Sounds like the adjustments are much easier and I can get 6" rotors which is all I think I need (?). I've already got mech levers and cables/housing.

What do you think?

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,452 Posts
Hmmm, I've had 2 pairs of Deore 555 Hydros and had no dramas. One set had Deore 6 bolt rotors and the current set have XT centrelocks, all 6 inch I've had no dramas at all - great brakes with plenty of power and modulation.

The 8 inch rotors will make the brakes a lot stronger, and if they are warping it's the fault of the rotors, not the brakes.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will 6" rotors improve the modulation?

Sideknob said:
...The 8 inch rotors will make the brakes a lot stronger, and if they are warping it's the fault of the rotors, not the brakes.
I don't like the rear lockup on the fireroad descents. Do you think 6" rotors would improve this?

Thanks.

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,452 Posts
It will still be easy to lock them up if you wanted - they are strong brakes, but yes a 6 inch rotor should help. Those Gothic rotors are most likely pretty grippy - you might consider something a little less cut or drilled.

A friend of mine had the opposite problem with his BB5's - not enough power on the front, so he put an 8 inch rotor on - a lot more power and faster "bite".

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
For sure you are too light for using a 8" in the rear going town to 180 or 160 will help with the modulation... I'm 220 lbs and I run a 203/280 XT setup on my FS and 185/160 LX setup on my SS with no issues...

The BB7s are great, but they require a really good setup to feel like hydros at the lever... the LX replaced a set of bb7s on my SS....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.