Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 160mm Shimano adapters to install my calipers. My rear caliper installed fine but the front one doesn't install correctly. There is a arrow on the side of the adapter showing which side to install up. In the proper install the caliper is to far from the rotor. If I turn the adapter down (up arrow pointing down) Look at picture. It appears to install correctly. I just bought the adapters from Icycles and there is no markings for front ar rear. Should I just run these like this anyone know if there is a different adapter I should use.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
chruby99 said:
I just got my 160mm Shimano adapters to install my calipers. My rear caliper installed fine but the front one doesn't install correctly. There is a arrow on the side of the adapter showing which side to install up. In the proper install the caliper is to far from the rotor. If I turn the adapter down (up arrow pointing down) Look at picture. It appears to install correctly. I just bought the adapters from Icycles and there is no markings for front ar rear. Should I just run these like this anyone know if there is a different adapter I should use.
The Adapter looks like its installed correctly, my guess is shimano screenprinted upside down. Good Luck!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,008 Posts
You need different adapters for the front and rear. You have a rear adapter installed on your fork. If it was installed on the rear, the arrow and text would be labelled correctly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What about a hayes adapter?

I can't see spending $20+ for a new adapter. this is the only ones ICycles have in stock.
The spacing is the same both. Only a few bucks. I guess I will try it unless anyone knows that it won't work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,008 Posts
You may have trouble actually sending that thing back to Icycles. The whole company is run by Trolls.....I mean computers. A lot of people have had a lot of trouble doing anything with Icycles which requires customer service.

I once ordered a BB from them (after ordering others parts from them previously), never got in in 6 weeks and they never responded to my multiple e-mails over a 5 week period. I reported them to PayPal as fraud as I had not received my part and they would not respond. To this day they have not responded to any of my e-mails, but did manage to go back and change my feedback on e-bay.

I have heard of others sending stuff back to them that was Icycle's fault and not getting a refund or receiving negative feedback.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea I have already checked their Policy.

What a Joke. The advertise a big Logo with "Satisfaction Guaranteed %100 " but if you read their return policy if it is open you cannot return it.

Anyway do you think I can use a Hayes front adapter. like the one in that photo. I mean you can mount the caliper to a 71mm manitou for regardless of the brand caliper, so what is the difference if you use any brand adapter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,008 Posts
chruby99 said:
Anyway do you think I can use a Hayes front adapter. like the one in that photo. I mean you can mount the caliper to a 71mm manitou for regardless of the brand caliper, so what is the difference if you use any brand adapter.
You are correct, the Deore is designed as a post mount caliper so any caliper adapter that positions it in the same location as the post mounts will work. You just need to make sure that you have enough clearance for the caliper within the adapter bracket.

The use of the rear shimano adapter upside down looked to position the caliper over the rotor pretty good too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
GearHead said:
You are correct, the Deore is designed as a post mount caliper so any caliper adapter that positions it in the same location as the post mounts will work. You just need to make sure that you have enough clearance for the caliper within the adapter bracket.

The use of the rear shimano adapter upside down looked to position the caliper over the rotor pretty good too.
Yea I could get away with the rear reversed on the front, or I could probably file off 3/16" off the topmount (or bottom if you use shimano's arrow) and then hit them both to get a flush fit. I don't know. I think I will cruise ebay to find a cheap front mount

Thanks for the input
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,008 Posts
chruby99 said:
Yea I could get away with the rear reversed on the front, or I could probably file off 3/16" off the topmount (or bottom if you use shimano's arrow) and then hit them both to get a flush fit. I don't know. I think I will cruise ebay to find a cheap front mount

Thanks for the input
Does the Hayes adapter clear your caliper?

I would use the rear flipped around if it lines up before I would take a file to it. It is pretty hard to get it true again with a file, they do need to be perfectly flat and true.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,850 Posts
chruby99 said:
Like I said it looks like good contact. anyone have a picture of there adapter?
That is a REAR 74mm to IS adapter. The correct front model should look like GearHeads picture. You can use the rear adapter in front but it will effectively require a 180mm rotor to line up right. The adapters don't need to be Shimano brand. These are standard 74mm mounts so you can use a Hayes adapter if you want and its cheaper. I currently have post mount XTR calipers mounted on Hayes adapters.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top