Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are Shimano Hone cranks strong enough for freeride/DJ abuse? How about RF Atlas? Which do you think would hold up better? I'm thinking drops around 10 ft. to tranny etc. Nothing that would get me in a NWD video or anything...thanks. I already have both sets and just wondering which set should go on my AM bike and which on my FR rig.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
The Hone crankset would be a better AM setup. It's really just an LX crankset with a Saint-like paint job. It's a very good crank, and I've had one on a Nomad. Its thru-axle design and outboard bearings make it a stout crankset, but not a big hucking setup. I'm not that familiar with the Atlas.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
The Hone with 2 rings has a steel spindle, which makes it good for freeride. The 3 ring version has an aluminum spindle, so it's just an LX which isn't good for drops. Get the other version and you're golden.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Both are plenty strong for hucking. One of the Vancouver DH race teams runs Atlas cranks on their race bikes. I've ridden with a few of them up at Whistler, they're definitely going more than 10 feet.

Put whichever one is lighter on your AM bike (prolly the Atlas).

·
Registered
832 Posts
TNC said:
The Hone crankset would be a better AM setup. It's really just an LX crankset with a Saint-like paint job. It's a very good crank, and I've had one on a Nomad. Its thru-axle design and outboard bearings make it a stout crankset, but not a big hucking setup. I'm not that familiar with the Atlas.
Thats not true one model of Hone is a respared LX and the other is not there are 2 types of Hone,M600 is a LX resprayed,A M601 is not,go for the M601

My m8 uses Hone M601 and he does 14ft drops and 20ft DJ and they seem fine handle it very sweet,Shimano do it again with there budget gear:thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.