Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building up an XT bike and purchased the XT chain (HG94) today. I didn't think twice about it seeing as that's the recommended chain for the 785/786 drivetrain.

But while searching online for the weight, I stumbled across a lot of reviews from 2010 and 2011 stating the chain is very fragile and breaks often.

Any truth to these reviews? Does it break more than normal (I've never broken a chain)? Has it been upgraded since 2010?

·
J-Flo
1,742 Posts
I built up a bike with all new XT 2x10 drivetrain last October. The XT chain is already worn out. It hasn't broken or caused problems but it is clearly stretched beyond spec so I need to change it to avoid undue wear to cassette and rings. I haven't ridden the bike that much, maybe 750 miles total.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've been using the HG94 for the past couple years, and I've been happy with the performance. I haven't had any problems, and they seem to last as long as other chains.

I believe a lot of people have trouble with bad installation of the connecting pin causing side plate to detach from the pin. People assume the chain failed, when it was actually improperly installed. I use the KMC 10-speed master link, and it fits really well and is re-usable.

·
Never trust a fart
4,343 Posts
Working in the industry, I have not seen the XT chains fail more or less than any other 10 speed chain. Usually when a chain fails, especially Shimano chains, it is at the joining pin due to improper installation.

But that is one reason I always recommend or install master links. Less likely to pop a master pin. I prefer the KMC Missing Links.

Jfloren - as far as wear goes, mileage will vary depending on the rider and terrain. Some last longer than others before need replacement.

Some people ride until it is time to replace everything. I prefer the preventative method.

I was only getting around 700 miles out of my 9 speed chains before replacement. Now granted they were not totally worn out, but just time for replacement to prevent replacement of the cassette.

Now that I am running 10 speed, I expect the chains to be needing replacemet between 500 and 700 miles.

Sent from my Secret Bunker using Smoke Signals 2

·
Plays with tools
4,646 Posts
I don't understand the fear people have with the Shimano connecting pin. It's a super easy way to instal a chain, it's stronger and it doesn't wear out before the rest of the chain.

OP, Shimano did have a batch of chains from a couple years ago that had a bad heat treat cycle. They would crack links at the pin vertically. Seems most of the time they cracked on the back side of the chain. But those chains should have all moved through shelves at this point.

I also haven't seen any one brand of chain break more than others. I see broken master links somewhat regularly though.

·
J-Flo
1,742 Posts
Update -- the new chain is super smooth and quiet. It was easy to install and I agree that the pin should not be a problem for anyone (but Shimano should give two pins with a new chain!). I had expected more than 700 miles out of my chain, but maybe it is my tendency to cross chain (ride in 2/1 or 2/2 gears) that caused the first one to wear out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts