Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
MTBR Demi-God
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a Shimano crankset that has a sticker on it which says- "Use Shimano IG chain only".

Now, would the crankset be really ticked-off if I went out on a limb and installed a HG chain on my drivetrain?

·
MTBR Demi-God
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aaah, so I can put in any 8speed chain right? or does it have to be shimano specific IG?

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,761 Posts
There are(were) 7/8 spd HG chains too.

Danke said:
Well IG is 8 speed (wide) and HG is 9 (narrow) so it looks like you'd be opening yourself up to a lot of chainsuck.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. A chainring is a chainring is a chainring. The chain and shift ramps might not line up 100% right but then again they don't with SRAM, Rohloff, Wipperman, etc, etc chains either.

A bigger issue would be HG vs IG on your cassette.

·
MTBR Demi-God
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shayne said:
A bigger issue would be HG vs IG on your cassette.
Wow.. never thought of that. I have a SRAM PG850 cassette.... how would I know if the cassette is HG and IG compatible or not?

I am planning to replace the chain on my bike, and I was out looking for the IG one (because thats what the sticker on my crankset said)... but I couldnt really find a lot of them. HG seemed to be a lot more common... therefore the question.

And I run a LX RD.

·
MTBR Demi-God
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shayne said:
Any chain will work with your cassette.
Just pick up any 9spd chain and you'll be good to go.
You mean 8spd right? because I have an 8spd drivetrain. Thanks for the help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.