Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bad experiences with Shimano?

I would change the name to Bad Experiences with Shimano, if i could. Sorry, hate was a little much. :cool: Anyways, this is the place to compain about your bad experiences with Shimano! I have had mine, and I personally will try and avoid doing buisness with them. I bought an LX rear deraillur from them, and it a half a year a pivot failed, the whole thing twisted and was ruined. Shimano would not anything. I bought a set of bike shoes from them. In less than a half year, a chunk of rubber fell off the bottom. Shimano said it was a commuter shoe and did not do anything. There was nothing in the description about being a commuter shoe, except that it is an entry level bike shoe. What does that mean. The Kona Coiler is an entry level free-ride bike! I bought a front deore deraillur. It developed slop in less than a half year. They did nothing. I bought a brand new bottom bracket from a local dealer and installed it my self. I might add that I installed it right. Guess what. The lip that keeps the bracket from sliding through failed and broke off. This also means that the bracket is stuck in there because the divets that the tool fits into broke off with it. The dealer claims that because I have done drops on the bracket that the warrenty is voided. How am i supposed to know that the bracket i got was not intended for that use? It said nothing about that on the box! Anyways, maybe I have been just been on a bad luck streek?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Mountainbikextremist said:
This is the place to compain about your bad experiences with Shimano! I have had mine, and I personally will try and avoid doing buisness with them. I currently dont have the time to write about my experinces though.
Thanks for the inspiring post.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Mountainbikextremist said:
This is the place to compain about your bad experiences with Shimano! I have had mine, and I personally will try and avoid doing buisness with them. I currently dont have the time to write about my experinces though.
Come back when you have more time to write.
I would love to hear your gripes.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Shimano has always treated me well, even their fishing reels.

I don't mean to state the obvious but...next time at least you could leave a brief description of why you are pissed about something. I was looking forward to reading your gripes about Shimano products and then I was let down...for shame...por que?

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
No Shimano problems here......

I do wear out the occassional part and bent things now and than but that's my fault and since I tend to take responsiblity for my own mistakes, I have nothing bad to say about Shimano.

Its not like Shimano is some hugh company. In the business world, they are fairly small and do a fantastic job for cyclists. Family run too, I believe. That's kind of nice.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Well, here are my shimano problems;

They're cassettes last around twice as long as the sram ones.
The shimano shifters have percision metal parts in them, that don't develop "slop".
They make the strongest chain on the planet.
They make stiff and light cranksets.
They make good disc brakes, centerlock AND 6 bolt

·
2,548 Posts
KuNgFuDeViL said:
Shimano has always treated me well, even their fishing reels.
Ditto !!!! I have no aversion to using Shimano's competitors parts, nor feel any particular "brand loyalty" to Shimano, but their s#!+ works, and works well....plain and simple.

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
I dont like them at all

I guess they work fine but I hate their all or nothing aproach and the dual control stuff is a joke. I am glad that Sram has finaly caut up and some areas surpased them so now I can avoid shimano and not suffer a performance penalty.

·
Turner Homer
1,227 Posts
Jm. said:
Oh, like SRAM ESP?
I am both a shimano a and sram guy. I like shimano's deore xt line, because they shift very percise, and the silver color on the xt is very cool lookin. I also have sram x9 shifting on my new bike and I really like the 2:1 ratio shifting over the shimano in some ways, because it is very senstive and smooth. There are my two cents.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.