Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Tha'ts wierd...thoight Sram Force, Force 1, Rival, Rival 1 and Apex, Apex 1 and preceded this GRX group.
Sorry Shimano but Sram beat you to it by 4 years.
Shimano are always conservative like that, though. They wait to see which way the wind's blowing, and then they make sure the wind's not going to die off, before they commit.

Some nice looking stuff in the new groupsets.

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/shimano-grx/

·
Cycologist
10,345 Posts
I'm surprised they included sub-brake levers. Haven't those pretty much fallen out of favor? Ok, I do have them on my CX, but it was to try to get better braking with the cantilevers.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,828 Posts
Great, now I need to build a new bike. Shimano 1x gravel group? Yes please. 1x, check. Mechanical shifting, check. Integrated left side dropper actuation, check. (that's cool!) Finned brake pads, sure.

Want!

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,828 Posts
The Bikeradar article calls the rims inner width of 21.6mm "healthy (if not radical)".

There's nothing out of the ordinary here. I actually have 24mm IW rims on my cross bike and it's awesome.

Not sure what the "tubeless only" means? I'd be surprised if they actually recommend NOT running tubes for some reason? Curious to hear more about what that means?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
The Bikeradar article calls the rims inner width of 21.6mm "healthy (if not radical)".

There's nothing out of the ordinary here. I actually have 24mm IW rims on my cross bike and it's awesome.

Not sure what the "tubeless only" means? I'd be surprised if they actually recommend NOT running tubes for some reason? Curious to hear more about what that means?
I think what they mean by "tubeless only" is that there are no non-tubeless or tubular options. In some higher level Shimano wheels they are offered in Tubular and Tube only. The Dura Ace clincher wheels from a couple years ago were quite a bit lighter than the tubless version.

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
it will be nice to have a cheaper 10 spd brifter/hydro brake option but other than that none of this stuff is going to be compatibility with a majority of the components people may already have and/or want to upgrade b/c they screw around with the lever pulls so you cant....

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
it will be nice to have a cheaper 10 spd brifter/hydro brake option but other than that none of this stuff is going to be compatibility with a majority of the components people may already have and/or want to upgrade b/c they screw around with the lever pulls so you cant....
Huh? They specifically stated that its compatible with current gen parts.
No dropper remote for those sticking with 2x tho, been waiting for that prototype to show.
I think the "sissy bar" brake lever faded away because it was not easy to do with hydros. There were a few models of road bikes on the floor at LBS that had rim brakes with them.

·
Cycologist
10,345 Posts
Huh? They specifically stated that its compatible with current gen parts.
No dropper remote for those sticking with 2x tho, been waiting for that prototype to show.
I think the "sissy bar" brake lever faded away because it was not easy to do with hydros. There were a few models of road bikes on the floor at LBS that had rim brakes with them.
I don't know, seems like they fell out of favor before hydros were really being adapted to CX bikes and I don't think I've ever seen them on a gravel bike. Problem is, as I suspected before putting them on, is that they put your hands even closer together so not a lot of leverage if you're descending. But it is interesting that they figured out how to get them to work with hydro brakes, I'm curious how that works.

·
I like turtles
6,374 Posts
So what are the cassette options for the 1x variations...I can't seem to find that? I think if Sram created an Eagle gravel group, 12 speed, 10-44 or 46 that would be great. This looks v. good though even though and I dig the dropper option.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I don't know, seems like they fell out of favor before hydros were really being adapted to CX bikes and I don't think I've ever seen them on a gravel bike. Problem is, as I suspected before putting them on, is that they put your hands even closer together so not a lot of leverage if you're descending. But it is interesting that they figured out how to get them to work with hydro brakes, I'm curious how that works.
The only time I liked those brake levers was on my commuter bike. They came in handy when I was changing hand positions and resting on the top of the bars. Had to use them a couple of times to avoid a drunk stumbling onto the path or an errant goose.

never tried using them on gravel or trails though and hated that they took up so much real estate on the bars.

·
2,675 Posts
How are Shimano hubs these days? I need a gravel wheelset and the the price point in the GRX is sweet.

I had a set of XT wheels a while back and the rear hub failed 3 times.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.