Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here replaced the free stroke screw? I've got one that's a little stripped. Is it a simple in and out? or does it affect the bleed? I see some on ebay listed as compatible with XT BL-M8000 and BL-M785 so I figured it'll work with the BL-M988 lever, but if anyone knows more about that I'd like to read about it.

·
damned rocks...
2,640 Posts
You don't need to bleed the brakes.
And if you have the old screw you can just go to a hardware store e get one with the length and threat pitch, no need to pay extra.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Far as I recall, it's the same size/pitch as a limit screw,so if you have an old RD around, you could try one from it in the place of the bite point screw, most likely will be too long. As for bleeding, yes the bite point adjustment screw position effects the bleed. If you bleed your Shimano brakes with the screw all the way in, you will not get a proper bleed, need to back it all the way out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Far as I recall, it's the same size/pitch as a limit screw,so if you have an old RD around, you could try one from it in the place of the bite point screw, most likely will be too long. As for bleeding, yes the bite point adjustment screw position effects the bleed. If you bleed your Shimano brakes with the screw all the way in, you will not get a proper bleed, need to back it all the way out.
Thanks. The question regarding bleeding was specifically about whether or not removing the screw/bolt entirely will affect the system by introducing air in some way. I understand that the screw/bolt affects the bite point and that having it closed/all the way in will make a bleed impossible. What I don't know is if it affects some seal in any way or not. I can't really see why it would but wanted to check.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Guessing you've never taken a Shimano lever apart or looked at exactly what happens when you crank that bolt in or out. All it does is push on a part that pushes the actual piston further into the lever body, thereby making pad contact sooner. When you remove the bolt, the part only moves back out so far, the push pin going from the lever to the back of the piston is what keeps everything in place.

Thanks. The question regarding bleeding was specifically about whether or not removing the screw/bolt entirely will affect the system by introducing air in some way. I understand that the screw/bolt affects the bite point and that having it closed/all the way in will make a bleed impossible. What I don't know is if it affects some seal in any way or not. I can't really see why it would but wanted to check.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.