Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Live 2 Ride
6,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So judging by what I have seen so far on the new bikes this year I think Shimano's DC may be a thing of the past. What do you think?

·
since 4/10/2009
31,441 Posts
I sure hope so, too. it always felt awkward in my hands and I never wanted to use it. rapidfire shifters have always worked fine.

·
The Mud Stud
1,435 Posts
I used lx dual control for years and loved them too. Some people can get used to them, others cant. I hope they dont phase them out, be a pity to see them go as an option. If anyone has any they hate please send them my way or to superspec, we wont mind :)

·
Registered
544 Posts
if im not mistaking they still had them for the 970 group as well. i life to see people hop on my bike and they are like how do you change gears. also i dont have to worry about breaking triggers.

·
Live 2 Ride
6,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Triggers hardly ever break. My big thing with DC is the fact that the brake lever moves up and down and that would throw me off in trusting my brakes on a descent. I like my levers to stay in one place and only move one way. It's kinda like holding on to the grips on a bike equipped with Grip shift on a uphill battle. If you had some of your hand on the Grip Shift then the Grip Shift decides to let go and you find yourself on your back looking up at the sky.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I have been MTBing for 28 years and my 960 brifters are my single favorite setup, followed by my X9 twisties. The only modern thumbies I like are Shimano barends on Paul mounts. To each his own.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I have triggers with a rapid rise der. on one bike and dc on another. I prefer the dc but not by a huge margin.

The thing I will miss if I can't replace them is the rr der. I would have to relearn how to shift.

·
Ride'n Dirty
144 Posts
I have the DC's on my Gary Fisher HT, love them, they work great when the arthritis acts up on my right thumb. Took about 10 min to learn how to use but I have never had a problem with them.

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
I have the 970 DC, they are not a bad performer. I also have 970 trigger love them. I don't think Dual controls are bad but what shimano failed to do with the previous version (960) was to offer both. They just demanded that we use it and like it. I guess they know now that it was a big mistake, as Sram took a huge chunk out of their market share.

·
Don't Tread on Me
981 Posts
Switching to the dual control forced me to adopt Shimano hydraulic disc brakes. I never looked back as these brakes modulate perfectly and have been totally trouble free.

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
Lopaka said:
Switching to the dual control forced me to adopt Shimano hydraulic disc brakes. I never looked back as these brakes modulate perfectly and have been totally trouble free.

That was one thing that always pissed me off about Shimano and basically forced me over to SRAM. If you wanted to use their lever/shifter combo, you had to use their brakes. Their brakes used centerlock rotors, so you had to use their hubs. So they basically forced you into their entire setup rather than allowing you to pick and choose. That's another reason Dual Control wasn't popular... people like to run aftermarket brakes or at least have the freedom of choice to do so. Having everything integrated just sucks from that standpoint, nevermind the fact that I just never liked the feel of the shifter levers, they seemed to wonky and flimsy and sloppy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think Shimano creating this dual control is inspired by the dual control on road bicycle. I agree with the comment this is the biggest flop on Shimano. And Shimano still not produce the DC for 10 speed.

For some people DC is the biggest crap, because if you want to pull the brake lever sometimes your gear will be shift down or up..
I dont really like this setup I prefered for grip shifter than this DC

·
The Mud Stud
1,435 Posts
Guys everyone here is saying that shimano dual control was their biggest flop. While that may be a matter of opinion (not mine) lets not forget one of their biggest success's came from dual control, and thats low normal shifting. Normal shimano shifting in my experience is good, but sram does this better. But with dual control, there is a valid alternative to sram that shifts incredibly well and offers the user a completely different setup no one else has. Being able to shift into a granny gear while climbing a hill under immense torque is very useful in some areas and I find it quite surprising its not more well known.

·
Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
3,211 Posts
1989 hyperglide allowed high torque shifting

I did not abuse my equipment by using it-did not want to wreck Biopace oval ring.

·
Live 2 Ride
6,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dirt Bringer said:
Guys everyone here is saying that shimano dual control was their biggest flop. While that may be a matter of opinion (not mine) lets not forget one of their biggest success's came from dual control, and thats low normal shifting. Normal shimano shifting in my experience is good, but sram does this better. But with dual control, there is a valid alternative to sram that shifts incredibly well and offers the user a completely different setup no one else has. Being able to shift into a granny gear while climbing a hill under immense torque is very useful in some areas and I find it quite surprising its not more well known.
Low normal or rapid rise is another evil from Shimano.

·
Don't Tread on Me
981 Posts
I'm not sure I agree with all the criticism of the dual control. For one thing, You can still mount Shimano calipers to work with 6 bolt ISO brake rotors. Also I have never accidentally shifted when I meant to brake or brake when I meant to shift. It just doesn't happen. And the ability to down shift while banging out a steep climb and at the same time posting up to stand in the pedals is an effortless sweet experience. The DC is well built and calibration of the shifter is precise and trouble free. I don't know what to think about a 10 speed set-up and the lack of a 10 speed DC. I still can't get my head around the need for a 10 speed mtb cluster.

Also, I can't prove this, but I also believe the DCs have saved me a few broken brake levers on the semi-frequent occasions when I go down hard. Rather than breaking the lever, the impact just attempts a shift. Finally, I've run DC on my XC bike for 3 trouble free years, through 4 sets of brake pads, without needing to add fluid or bleed brakes. That, in itself, is worth a lot to me.

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
Lopaka said:
I'm not sure I agree with all the criticism of the dual control. For one thing, You can still mount Shimano calipers to work with 6 bolt ISO brake rotors. Also I have never accidentally shifted when I meant to brake or brake when I meant to shift. It just doesn't happen. And the ability to down shift while banging out a steep climb and at the same time posting up to stand in the pedals is an effortless sweet experience. The DC is well built and calibration of the shifter is precise and trouble free. I don't know what to think about a 10 speed set-up and the lack of a 10 speed DC. I still can't get my head around the need for a 10 speed mtb cluster.

Also, I can't prove this, but I also believe the DCs have saved me a few broken brake levers on the semi-frequent occasions when I go down hard. Rather than breaking the lever, the impact just attempts a shift. Finally, I've run DC on my XC bike for 3 trouble free years, through 4 sets of brake pads, without needing to add fluid or bleed brakes. That, in itself, is worth a lot to me.

I think the Dual control system is great for some people, hey I have it and I like it. My perception was more toward their marketing and the attempt to fully convert consumer to their system, especially with the XTR 960 line. Shimano offer so many different lines each version so their no issue with R&D and productions. They just choose not to offer anything else other than DC for the 960. It's a good system but like Jim311 said we have to go all shimano shifter/brake/DC shifting. Even Shimano admitted that it was an arrogant and stupid move.

You are right about misshifting DC it rarely happens. and movable lever is almost crash proved, almost. I have set up 2 of my Ibis mojo with 970's one with DC and another with trigger and Magura brake. DC set up is better suit XC style and even with 180mm rotor in the front it's not the most powerful brake out there, may be that's the reason they modulate so well:D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts