Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
In Transit
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still trying to get my head around Dual Control and low/high normal rear derailleurs, and I think I'm almost there, but I still have a few questions regarding shifting behavior before I start bidding on parts.

According to this

Article

pushing up on the brake lever or in on the thumb lever on the right side changes to a lower gear (larger cog) and pushing down on the brake lever changes to a higher gear (smaller cog). OK, makes sense, but for which combination of shifters and rear derailleurs?

1) RR-S + RR-RD
2) RR-S + N-RD
3) N-S + RR-RD
4) N-S + N-RD

where,

RR = Rapid Rise/high normal
N = normal/low normal
S = shifter
RD = rear derailleur

If I understand all of this correctly, you should get regular shifting (as described in the above article) with combos 1 and 4, regular shifting with a reversed gear indicator in combo 2, and reversed shifting with combo 3.

Is that right? :confused:

·
Registered
706 Posts
it only regular shifts if you are used to it....My first bike had rapid fire(trigger or non dual control) shifters with a rapid rise derailuer...so the thumb tigger would make it harder to pedal while the index trigger would make it easier....didnt really know the difference since it was my first mtb....i did end up getting a non rapid fire rear derailuer with triggers and found it to be IMHO better...I really cant help you with the dual controls I have never used them

but to answer your question:

1. RR-RD + DC-S
2. RR-RD + RF-S
3. N-RD + DC-S
4. N-RD + RF-S

RR = Rapid Rise
N = Normal
DC = Dual Control
RF = Rapid Fire/Trigger

As it describe in the article well you only get number 1...the article does not describe any of the other combo...but I can assume that if you use a non rapid rise with dual controls, which I dont think is recommended, then pushing up/thumb trigger would make it harder to pedal and pushing down would make it easier

·
In Transit
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. I thought about it some more it terms of how the shifter was pulling or pushing (getting pulled by the spring tension in the derailleur) and I'm pretty sure that I described the shifting behaviors accurately in my first post.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.