Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HellI everyone,
I just installed the prebled Shimano deore XT brakes. I thought it was fairly simple and they seem to function pretty well, however they seem to rub a tad bit. I made sure the wheels were on properly and loosened the calipers and held the lever down and retightened it down. They still contact the rotor in one small spot and there is some rubbing. It's not bad but I was wondering if there is a quick fix. Here are my main questions:

Is it the rotor? Should I get a rotor tool and bend it ?

Will it align over time during the break in period?

Could it be my wheels? I heard that hydraulic brakes self align..

Did i eff it up? I was proud that I was able to get this far haha. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
The squeeze the levers then tighten the bolts technique usually gets you about 80-90% of the way to a centered caliper, most of the time it works well enough but some fine tuning is needed at times.

First, take a look at the rotor, see if it's evenly centered between the brake pads in the places where it ISN'T rubbing. If it is, you have a bent rotor, and you'll need to use your hands or a crescent wrench to carefully bend the bent area back into line.

If not, you'll have to fine tune the centering of the caliper on the rotor.
- loosen off one of the caliper bolts 1/4 to 1/2 a turn
- loosen off the other bolt all the way and tap the caliper one way or the other to center it better
- tighten it down, then loosen the other bolt and repeat to make the caliper parallel with the rotor
- tighten everything down and check the centering

You may need to repeat it a few times to get things perfect.
There are other ways of doing it but this one seems to work the best for me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay. I'll do that! It's not bad at all so that sounds like it would work. I'll get back to you guys and let you know the results but I appreciate the quick response! Just a note at wrenching!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts