Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a RM Element near the end of last season equipped with Shimano M-525 disk brakes that use tightening plates. What is the purpose of these plates? The only purpose that I can think of is to prevent the bolts from loosening and would not blue locktite serve the same?

Basically I want to replace the Shimano SM-RT60 rotors with some Hayes that I have lying around for no other reason than aesthetics and was wondering if I really need to use these plates.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
splat said:
I bought a RM Element near the end of last season equipped with Shimano M-525 disk brakes along with three rotor tightening plates. What is the purpose of these plates? The only purpose that I can think of is to prevent the bolts from loosening and would not blue locktite serve the same?

Basically I want to replace the Shimano SM-RT60 rotors with some Hayes that I have lying around for no other reason than aesthetics and was wondering if I really need to use these plates.
I'm pretty sure that's all they are for. The instructions call for the plates to be bent up around the head of the bolts, and I believe this is supposed to "lock" them in place. I would guess that blue loctite should do the trick.

Clyde

·
Registered
36 Posts
New Loctite Dispenser

Call_me_Clyde said:
I would guess that blue loctite should do the trick.

Clyde
Speaking of Loctite.......... Have you tried the new blue Loctite that comes in a "Chapstick-like" dispenser? I just used it on my rotor bolts and while it is more expensive it's cleaner and easier to use and probably won't dry out as fast. Good luck. - Dave

·
Registered
73 Posts
Stop Ring

I was wondering the same thing about my Specialized FST 120 that come with XT brake.
Also, is anyone really think the "Stop Ring" that goes on the bolt attaching the caliper to the frame is useless. I'm thinking of removing it, and putting some blue locktite instead.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
The stop rings, wire, etc. are all safety items supplied by Shimano to lessen the probability of lawsuits. IMHO blue loctite is simpler and better.
Yanick said:
I was wondering the same thing about my Specialized FST 120 that come with XT brake.
Also, is anyone really think the "Stop Ring" that goes on the bolt attaching the caliper to the frame is useless. I'm thinking of removing it, and putting some blue locktite instead.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.