Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Shimano says this will do a 2x10 or 2x11 setup with a 42 tooth cog, but only 1x 10, but with a largest cog being 46 teeth.

My question is, will this do a 1x11 setup if the largest cog is only 42 teeth?

I ask because my existing bike is a 1x11, 11-42 cassette. I have the parts to swap to 11-46, and was thinking of raiding the 11-42 cassette and old chain for a project on another bike, using that Deore RD. Want to set it up initially as a 2x, using the existing crankset, but might go 1x in the future.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Beautiful. Will save me some money.

But now also looking to find a good deal on an 11 speed SLX or XT RD. SLX will be about the same weight, but XT will be quite a bit lighter. If the cost is fairly close.

Although it is just a cheapie build, so will probably go with the best deal, weight doesn't really matter a whole lot.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I found this but you may need to be inventive in your search to find an SLX from a reputable vendor right now. Double check, even call, to be sure the vendor has it in stock.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found this but you may need to be inventive in your search to find an SLX from a reputable vendor right now. Double check, even call, to be sure the vendor has it in stock.
Yeah, full retail. I can get one off Amazon or I think even Universal Cycle for $85.

But don't know if I want to do that when the Deore is $50.

Probably gonna be a while before I get tio doing this anyway, nobody has anything in stock. Plus, my brother asked about borrowing a bike for a while, and this might be it. So, I can't be tearing it apart, or doing half the job and waiting. I took all the stuff off it that I had it converted to, rear rack and bag, full fenders, U-lock, etc., and it looks actually kind of cool. Took it for a short spin around the neighborhood, may actually take it out for a real ride this week. Gotta clean all the grime off it too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.