Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am in the process ofd restoring my 30 year old bike. It has Shimano Deore DX shift (3 front/7 rear). After a lot of cleaning and replacing cables the rear shift is OK but it seems the front shift lever has a problem. It jumps from the largest gear straight to the smallest. With upshifts it hits the middle gear fine.

I have looked at replacements on eBay but there are no shift levers. Only brake levers and derailleurs.

Does anybody know if another series will fit or can I replace the current one with any 3 gear Shimano shift? Are they all all the same?

·
Mtn Biker Machinist
1,293 Posts
eBay search results show 6 sets of MT-62 Shimano DX thumbshifters. $64-$125.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Mtn Biker Machinist
1,293 Posts
So yours are DX trigger shifters, not DX thumb shifters.

Do you want to keep your bike period correct, or just have a bike that shifts?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not necessarily period as long as the shifts work halfways OK. It seems there are some Deore XT sets for 50-80 on eBay. Are there any more modern ones that are recommended?

·
Mtn Biker Machinist
1,293 Posts
XT trigger shifters (and DX trigger shifters) are fine as long as the grease inside hasn’t turned to cement. It hardens over time and the little pawls and springs stop engaging and releasing.

If you’re so inclined, you can clean the old grease out of your current shifters and re-lube them if that’s the problem.

Your shifters are integrated into your brake levers, so finding exact replacements may take time on eBay. If you want to replace shifters and brake levers, that’s easier. It all depends on how much time, money, & patience you have.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
XT trigger shifters (and DX trigger shifters) are fine as long as the grease inside hasn’t turned to cement. It hardens over time and the little pawls and springs stop engaging and releasing.

that was the problem. They barely moved. With a lot of degreaser I got them moving again but the middle position of the front gear still gets skipped. Otherwise the shift feels very good again.

One last question: I am not very familiar with replacing bike components. Is it a fair assumption that Shimano 3/7 speed levers should work on my bike? do they all shift in similar ways?

·
Mtn Biker Machinist
1,293 Posts
Yes, any Shimano 3/7 speed will work. Also make sure that the brake levers match your type of brakes. Likely you have cantilever brakes, which are considered short pull, so you need cantilever brake levers. Long pull, or v-brake levers won’t work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, any Shimano 3/7 speed will work. Also make sure that the brake levers match your type of brakes. Likely you have cantilever brakes, which are considered short pull, so you need cantilever brake levers. Long pull, or v-brake levers won’t work.

Thanks! That's definitely something to consider and I wasn't aware of it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you end up replacing those shifters, I like to have em. I have had many of those and had good results taking them apart to get them working again

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you end up replacing those shifters, I like to have em. I have had many of those and had good results taking them apart to get them working again
OK. I'll let you know. You can have them if you pay shipping. Still looking so far. Seems there are more Deore XT than Deore DX parts out there so I may go that route.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Your photo looks like DX levers with XT (M095) push/pull shifters. They may also be M560 LX shifters. I believe DX shifters were all push/push.

You can easily work with the pawl that is giving you trouble with the shifter. 9 times out of 10, working the pawl back and forth loosens it up. This video should help you (different shifter)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKLejn7f_Po

·
Registered
85 Posts
Your photo looks like DX levers with XT (M095) push/pull shifters. They may also be M560 LX shifters. I believe DX shifters were all push/push.

You can easily work with the pawl that is giving you trouble with the shifter. 9 times out of 10, working the pawl back and forth loosens it up. This video should help you (different shifter)
DX did have those, they were #M075

·
Registered
85 Posts
OK. I'll let you know. You can have them if you pay shipping. Still looking so far. Seems there are more Deore XT than Deore DX parts out there so I may go that route.
:thumbsup: would you consider a trade?
I have a set of Deore DX M-071 on an old Alpinestar that are fully functional, actually rode it yesterday. Pics attached...... DX 072.jpg
Alp 4.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I think I have worked it out. I had to fiddle with the cable tension (very loose) and the inner limit screw (take it in further than usually recommended) and now it seems to work. Seems the shifter is good after all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts