Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly id just like to say hi to everyone on here....I've been a long time lurker but im in need of a little advice now...

I've recently picked up a new GT pantera frame (the halfords type) and im in the process of building up a new bike for myself. Anyways, I was planning on going with vbrakes but a mate has come up with a set of shimano deore mechanical disks (full set front + back including avid levers) that he's willing to let go for £50. Firstly, whats everones opinions on these and are there any issues i should be aware of when installing on the pantera?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
402 Posts
New they don't cost much more than that, including Avid levers. Is he that good a mate? ;)

Anyway, they are a disc brake and providing the frame has disc brake tabs for the rear, they should fit fine.

And they are quite good, unless you get them wet. Then they are a little like V brakes. They need to work a little after they get wet before they will work properly.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
What Schtoo said...

And IMHO the front is not very powerful... but I'm comparing it against Avids.

For the rainy UK you should put your hands on another brakes (Avid Mechs or Magura Julies). If you could try the Deores with some semimetallic pad (instead of the resin ones supplied) or even sintered (local supplier Fibrax can get you either compound) this couls boost your wet braking performance. Try to make a test ride first. They are used anyway...

I would blame the original pads for the lack of wet braking. Other than that, they're good brakes for the price.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts