Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning guys,

I am looking real hard at an Ibis Ripley. Unfortunately, they are hard to find in an XL. However I did find a few at an online retailer. Its either a Deore build for 5K with Fox Performance suspension, or GX build with Fox factory suspension build for an additional 1500.00.

My current Intense Tracer Enduro has GX all around so I am use to and like the GX and I know what it does and does not do. Not sure how the Deore relates, but I do know its Shimanos bottom of their line. If I go with the Deore build, can I upgrade easily later if I think I need to? I know my GX is finicky shifting under load. Shimano Deore claims they do not have that problem. Any truth to that?

On the Fox suspension, this is confusing. On the Deore build, the spec says for the fork, "Fox float 34 performance, 130mm travel". On Foxs' page, I cannot find a Performance Float 34 non-Kashima coated black anodized uppers with 130 mm travel. I only see the Performance - Elite in 130 travel and in black. What is the difference between grip2 and Fit 4 damping please? I think I understand all the factory options.

What about the rear shock spec listed on the Deore build? "Fox float performance DPS with EVOL". Are the only adjustments wide open, mid travel, and hard? Along with some clicking for the rebound?

Here is the build spec for the Ripley I'm looking at. Ripley Deore Mountain Bike

Thanks guys for any help.

Sid

· Registered
126 Posts
I can't help much with the suspension, but I've just under 2k mi on my bike with Deore 6100, and it's been pretty great. Other than cleaning and lubing, very little has been required to maintain smooth and consistent shifting. Hyperglide+ is very forgiving when shifting under load, and for the most part it just works without worrying about it.

Individual components are interchangeable from Deore 6100 up through the line so you can mix and match cassette/chain/derailleur/cranks/shifter. Other than the XT/XTR shifter, it's mostly weight and durability that separate components rather than features.

· RIDDLELDDIR
1,753 Posts
I know my GX is finicky shifting under load. Shimano Deore claims they do not have that problem. Any truth to that? Yes and no. All drivetrains will suffer from a dead stop to full sprint on the way up the cassette. Shimano ramps have always kind of been their thing, and the new system is really, quite nice

What is the difference between grip2 and Fit 4 damping please? I think I understand all the factory options. Fit 4is the true lockout system with what used to be "Climb Trail Descend" (CTD) 3-position, whereas Grip 2 Damper is a valve system that stays firm while pedaling and is active over small bumps but slow bumps it opens up to full stroke, like an automatic kind of lockout. I personally can't stand Grip Dampers because I want the fork locked out for-sure. "Factory" is Kashima Coated and generally has High and Low speed compression, Rebound, and a few other tunable aspects. Performance is generally only rebound, damping fast/slow and air spring (adjusted per the psi in the left chamber)

"Fox float performance DPS with EVOL" is actually a nice shock with good bang for the buck. It's simple, serviceable and priced well. EVOL stands for Extra Volume which means a larger air can and that means better for fine tuning with volume spacers

All in all, the Ripley is a short travel trail weapon that is a quiver killer up to the point of bike park chunk and full DH riding. Have fun

· Registered
826 Posts
Anything Deore on up will give you wonderful shifting (and braking) performance especially under load compared to SRAM. Sometimes when under a really light load in the middle gears with the closest steps it's hard to tell if it even shifted the shift is so smooth and noise free. Going up the ladder from Deore gives you mostly weight reduction with the exception of the XT/XTR shifters which have a firmer lever feel and gives you the instant release and double upshift features. If you are on a budget Deore is awesome and you can replace the bits as needed once they wear out, which in my experience takes a while.

· Registered
28 Posts
My 2019 bike came with a 150mm Fox 34 Performance Elite with the Fit4 damper. I didn't use or need the lockout feature, and I could never seem to tune the fork to absorb small hits without diving on big hits. I eventually replaced it with a Fox 36 Performance Elite with the Grip 2 damper. It's fantastic. I highly recommend the Grip 2 damper over the Fit 4 unless you need the fork lockout.

· RIDDLELDDIR
1,753 Posts
My 2019 bike came with a 150mm Fox 34 Performance Elite with the Fit4 damper. I didn't use or need the lockout feature, and I could never seem to tune the fork to absorb small hits without diving on big hits. I eventually replaced it with a Fox 36 Performance Elite with the Grip 2 damper. It's fantastic. I highly recommend the Grip 2 damper over the Fit 4 unless you need the fork lockout.
The trails we are riding would also have to come into account. My daily routine is 160mm bike, and up-the-hill down-the-hill with steep ascent and zero grade reversals, and pure dh all the way back to the car. Any sag/travel front or rear on the climb at all, is robbing power. Now, if you are riding something flatter, with rolling hills and some more mellow trails, grip 2 is great. Then, there is that chaos factor of rider weight were the grip 2 loves a 180lb rider or lighter right out of the box, and has to be maniuplated to accommodate the heavy or harder rider, IMO. Things like the MRP ramp valve fixes that heavier rider conundrum, pretty much. I still can't stand the lockout switch on the shock, but not the fork making the bike ride somewhat like a 1990's hard tail. Lockout front and rear FTW.

· Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Personally I'd probably choose the Deore/Performance bike even if they were the same price.
=sParty
Really? Why do you say that? Its this Fox fork thats got me stumped though. If you go on foxs' page and use their fork builder, if you select 130mm travel, the option of performance option disappears. All that
I hope I never need the lockout. Im hoping the Ripley on its own woll solve that dilema

· Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
19,019 Posts
Really? Why do you say that?
In the past, every lower level fork I've purchased that lacks a lot of adjustment knobs has been set up well enough by the manufacturer to satisfy me. That said, my comment is woefully outdated, as I have not purchased a lower level fork in the past 10 years or so. So please disregard my comment.
Its this Fox fork thats got me stumped though. If you go on foxs' page and use their fork builder, if you select 130mm travel, the option of performance option disappears.
I believe some component offerings are only available to OEMs; not offered aftermarket.
=sParty

· Registered
8 Posts
I think I know what shop you're talking about. Give them a call and have them check the deore bike, I can almost guarantee that it has factory suspension. Ibis has been shipping all of their carbon bikes with factory suspension for a few months now and they probably haven't updated their website. I have the deore Ripley with factory suspension and I'm super happy with it and think you would be too, but I'd probably go with the sram bike if the deore really has the performance susp. I'd do a little more looking around though, my buddy just bought an xl, gx ripley from N+1 for quite a bit less than the price you're talking about!

· Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I know what shop you're talking about. Give them a call and have them check the deore bike, I can almost guarantee that it has factory suspension. Ibis has been shipping all of their carbon bikes with factory suspension for a few months now and they probably haven't updated their website. I have the deore Ripley with factory suspension and I'm super happy with it and think you would be too, but I'd probably go with the sram bike if the deore really has the performance susp. I'd do a little more looking around though, my buddy just bought an xl, gx ripley from N+1 for quite a bit less than the price you're talking about!
You da man bro. DONE!

· Registered
339 Posts
The fox performance 34 on a new ripley, is not a fit4 damper, it’s the grip damper. The grip is nice and if so inclined, you can buy the grip2 damper and drop it in.

I’d take the deore/performance build. Then, sell the wheels for $400-500 and with the $2000 in your pocket Id upgrade the wheels and get some 4 piston brakes and the pork chop bag.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.