Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine just picked up a Superfly 100. One of the first things I noticed is that it has regular Shimano Deore cranks. How can they put these on a $5000 bike? I thought these came on $800 bikes?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Actually its the SLX (M552), but yes thats still a fairly middle of the road crank. I would have expected XT level, which still leaves room for a better crank on the 100 Elite.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
qa_bugfinder said:
Actually its the SLX (M552), but yes thats still a fairly middle of the road crank. I would have expected XT level, which still leaves room for a better crank on the 100 Elite.
No, it is one level below the SLX. SLX cranks are 660 or 665 etc.

500 series is Deore level. 600 is LX, 700 is XT, and 900 is XTR

These are one level from the lowest which is Alivio.

·
Registered
450 Posts
The crankset on the Superfly 100 is a non-series crankset or "hybrid".
It uses Deore crank arms and 10 speed SLX chainrings.
Trek do this so they can put on the 10spd Shimano drivetrain, while saving some dollars on a full SLX crankset.

I hear quite a few people complaining about this though I still can't get over the fact that you can get a US made OCLV frame at that pricepoint - hell it could come with square taper cranks for all i care!

But you get the press-fit bottom bracket, 10 speed SLX chainrings (which shift really, really well BTW) and Deore crankarms - sure you could drop some grams going to SLX or XT cranks but you pay for it.

In fact, according to these guys, the XT cranks are actually less stiff than the Deore crankarms:

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/components/cranks/product/shimano-xt-dyna-sys-42734

So consider yourself lucky for spending less and getting a stiffer crankset!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Willy - Thanks for the clarification. I had heard SLX and my google search returned SLX... however I didn't read the articles close enough, that talked about XT, SLX, Dyna-sys and small footnote at the bottom, M552 non-series cranks.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Little Willy said:
Trek do this so they can put on the 10spd Shimano drivetrain, while saving some dollars on a full SLX crankset.

I hear quite a few people complaining about this though I still can't get over the fact that you can get a US made OCLV frame at that pricepoint - hell it could come with square taper cranks for all i care!

But you get the press-fit bottom bracket, 10 speed SLX chainrings (which shift really, really well BTW) and Deore crankarms - sure you could drop some grams going to SLX or XT cranks but you pay for it.

In fact, according to these guys, the XT cranks are actually less stiff than the Deore crankarms:

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/components/cranks/product/shimano-xt-dyna-sys-42734

Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not really that familiar with the Trek line, but isn't the Fuel EX 9.8 pretty much the same thing as far as a US made OCLV frame at the same exact pricepoint, but with a way better component spec, including fork and rear shock?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Little Willy said:

The Deore crankarms are solid, not hollow, that may explain why they are stiffer and a lot heavier.

·
I hate that name.
1,643 Posts
ssc280 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not really that familiar with the Trek line, but isn't the Fuel EX 9.8 pretty much the same thing as far as a US made OCLV frame at the same exact pricepoint, but with a way better component spec, including fork and rear shock?
I wouldn't say way better, slightly better for sure. RP2 vs RP23, RL vs Fit RL. X9 and XT are, in theory, on the same level. 29ers cost slightly more for similar specs.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
blunderbuss said:
I wouldn't say way better, slightly better for sure. RP2 vs RP23, RL vs Fit RL. X9 and XT are, in theory, on the same level. 29ers cost slightly more for similar specs.
Plus XT Cranks, Nicer brakes, nicer saddle, Nicer Wheels, plus I thought XT was nicer than X9

·
Registered
983 Posts
Check with your LBS.

I ended up with a custom build on mine (SF100, non elite), and the LBS was good enough to trade in the stock stuff and give me credit.

Swapped
- Shifters to XTR
- Rear D to XT
- Cranks to X9 2x10
- Wheels to ZTR Arch
- Handlebar to Salsa with no sweep
- Properly sized stem

All of that was only $150 more then what I would have payed for the bike if it was 100% stock and that includes the wheel upgrade!

-Tom

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
trhoppe said:
Check with your LBS.

I ended up with a custom build on mine (SF100, non elite), and the LBS was good enough to trade in the stock stuff and give me credit.

Swapped
- Shifters to XTR
- Rear D to XT
- Cranks to X9 2x10
- Wheels to ZTR Arch
- Handlebar to Salsa with no sweep
- Properly sized stem

All of that was only $150 more then what I would have payed for the bike if it was 100% stock and that includes the wheel upgrade!

-Tom
Those are sweet upgrades for $150! The XTR shifters alone would be $100+ upgrade from the X9.

·
Registered
983 Posts
It was a pretty damn good deal, and the main reason I bought the bike from these guys.

Moral of my story is it never hurts to ask your LBS if you aren't happy about a stock part on a bike, especially because they might actually want your business :)

-Tom

·
I hate that name.
1,643 Posts
ssc280 said:
Plus XT Cranks, Nicer brakes, nicer saddle, Nicer Wheels, plus I thought XT was nicer than X9
Yeah... thats what I said, slightly better, in reference to componentry. And I personally prefer Shimano across the board, but on the marketing guru's paper, XT = X9.

·
Registered
205 Posts
That's the thing about spec'ing bikes, and why none of us are product managers. It requires a fair bit of creativity to get models out at whatever their particular pricepoint goal is. One of the things that will usually happen to create perceived value is putting higher-end cranks and rear derailleurs on because they're typically the most visible components on the rig. In the case of the base-level SF100, the lion's share of the value is locked up in the frame.

Now, that crankset isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination, but they had to make a pricepoint.

All that being said, my SF100 looks like this now ;)

·
Registered
245 Posts
That's the thing about spec'ing bikes, and why none of us are product managers. It requires a fair bit of creativity to get models out at whatever their particular pricepoint goal is. One of the things that will usually happen to create perceived value is putting higher-end cranks and rear derailleurs on because they're typically the most visible components on the rig. In the case of the base-level SF100, the lion's share of the value is locked up in the frame.

Now, that crankset isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination, but they had to make a pricepoint.

All that being said, my SF100 looks like this now ;)

Curious about putting the XTR on the Superfly 100. What BB did you use? The fact that they are pressed it, does that change anything? Is the XTR cranks compatible with the BB the bike came with?

·
Registered
205 Posts
The Trek press-fit standard is the exact same width as a traditional thread-in type external BB (GXP, Hollowtech II, Mega Exo, etc). As such, there are no issues or special considerations with regard to fitting an XTR crank; with the exception of changing the stock non-drive side bearing to the Shimano standard (my 2010 Superfly 100 pictured above came stock with a Truvativ Noir crank and GXP standard BB bearings) These are the same bearings used in the Madone and most Trek dealers will have them on hand. It's really easy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts