Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
DT
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently upgrading my '09 Gary Fisher Tassajara. Next on the list is a new crank set. The stock rig came equipped with Shimano FC-M428 (44s/32s/22s) Octalink. Problem is that I can't find any information on this crank set anywhere. I searched the web and Shimano's site but the model number doesn't come up. I want to know the details on them so I can make educated decisions on a new set. Does anyone know the specifics on these cranks? (weight, materials, arm length, etc)

Link to GF site
http://fisherbikes.com/bike/archivemodel/463

Any help is appreciated! :)

·
DT
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks SteveUK. I kinda figured they were some kind of run of the mill OEM parts. I'm still surprised that Shimano doesn't list any info on them though.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Same with the new stuff from Trek. My Fuel EX8 came with a crank, don't remember the #s, that wasn't on Shimano's site. Upgraded to SLX, as there are some GREAT deals on those right now, and its great :)

-Tom

·
DT
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mtnbiker72 said:
They look a lot like the FC-M442-8 which is a non-series crankset.

Pretty cheap and pretty heavy, as mentioned by SteveUK...anything Deore or up will be a significant upgrade.
That def looks like them (or close enough anyways). OK, it's settled, time to go shopping. Anyone have a strong recommendation for a replacement?

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
FWIW now, the link to the GF page has it right as 4428 (sort of, not so clear that translates to 442-8), and has a booboo on the "specifications" tab listing where it shows 428. Check out the M582 at Jenson or Cambria, best prices I've seen mentioned on the boards are there. It'll have a different bottom bracket, but it's included. You'll need different tools to install them than the one you've got now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts