Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Shimano Crank Set Identity?

1723 Views 8 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  derickt
I've recently upgrading my '09 Gary Fisher Tassajara. Next on the list is a new crank set. The stock rig came equipped with Shimano FC-M428 (44s/32s/22s) Octalink. Problem is that I can't find any information on this crank set anywhere. I searched the web and Shimano's site but the model number doesn't come up. I want to know the details on them so I can make educated decisions on a new set. Does anyone know the specifics on these cranks? (weight, materials, arm length, etc)

Link to GF site
http://fisherbikes.com/bike/archivemodel/463

Any help is appreciated! :)
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
It's pretty much just an OEM entry-level crank. Anything in the Deore-and-above range is going to be "better".
Thanks SteveUK. I kinda figured they were some kind of run of the mill OEM parts. I'm still surprised that Shimano doesn't list any info on them though.
Same with the new stuff from Trek. My Fuel EX8 came with a crank, don't remember the #s, that wasn't on Shimano's site. Upgraded to SLX, as there are some GREAT deals on those right now, and its great :)

-Tom
They look a lot like the FC-M442-8 which is a non-series crankset.

Pretty cheap and pretty heavy, as mentioned by SteveUK...anything Deore or up will be a significant upgrade.
mtnbiker72 said:
They look a lot like the FC-M442-8 which is a non-series crankset.

Pretty cheap and pretty heavy, as mentioned by SteveUK...anything Deore or up will be a significant upgrade.
That def looks like them (or close enough anyways). OK, it's settled, time to go shopping. Anyone have a strong recommendation for a replacement?
FWIW now, the link to the GF page has it right as 4428 (sort of, not so clear that translates to 442-8), and has a booboo on the "specifications" tab listing where it shows 428. Check out the M582 at Jenson or Cambria, best prices I've seen mentioned on the boards are there. It'll have a different bottom bracket, but it's included. You'll need different tools to install them than the one you've got now.
derickt said:
That def looks like them (or close enough anyways). OK, it's settled, time to go shopping. Anyone have a strong recommendation for a replacement?
Cambria Bike has the LX M582 for $99 plus an additional 20% off through tomorrow.
mtnbiker72 said:
Cambria Bike has the LX M582 for $99 plus an additional 20% off through tomorrow.
Thanks for the tip:thumbsup:
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.