Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have a Vitus Sentier 27 and after a few rides the crank fell off, okay so I tightened it back on and now whenever I go back out it eventually slowly walks itself back off even though the two Allen bolts are tight. I've only rode the bike for not even 2 months. I've also tried Loctite but still walked off. So at this point im not sure what steps to take, the cranks are Shimano Deore M5100 32t 170mm what should I upgrade to if I get new ones because no matter how much I tighten them they eventually walk off.

· Registered
4,127 Posts
The problem is that when a crank arm gets loose and falls off, the splines on the axle and arm get slightly damaged. So then the arm is going to have play even when fully tightened and will eventually fall off no matter what you do. It probably was not installed correctly/tightly from the start. A new Deore would be fine as long as you install it correctly according to the manual.

· Registered
337 Posts
There is also a small lever arm (easy to miss) that must be correctly engaged. Did you check that out?

I like the Shimano design over the SRAM.

I had similar loosening of my SRAM nX cranks this summer. Once they get loosened up and the spline worn, you gotta replace them as they will just come loose easier.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

· Registered
43 Posts
I had a similar problem with my Shimano Zee crankset and purely coincidentally my Vitus Escarpe, the crankarm fell off after i had replaced the BB bearings. I had not tighten the bolts according to spec, purely by hand/feel. After i had torqued them accordingly (14-15nm) it never has fallen off again (altough it has been stressed exstemsivly while riding!).

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Didn't you start a different thread on this a few ago? Shimano Crank Arm keeps falling off HELP If you don't want to get another Shimano, you can get a Race Face Aeffect (24mm spindle) and it will work with your existing bottom bracket. Solid crankset for the price. You will need a new chainring though.
If I wanted to keep my chainring and not change anything besides the crank arms what should I upgrade to, should I stick with the m5100 I have now which is a 10 speed and get a new one or upgrade to something above that since im replacing them anyway.
Also since it is a 10 speed crankset now do I have to replace it with another 10 speed or would a 12 speed crankset work too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.