Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a SP dynamo hub and would like to purchase a spare connector. The Shimano connectors are much more readily available.

I've read that you can use a Shimano connector with a SP hub, it will just be a little tighter than the stock SP connector.

Does anyone have experience with this setup? Is it so much tighter that it's a PITA to dis/reconnect when removing the front wheel?

Thanks.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Interesting question. I've always thought they were interchangeable with no difference. But now that you mention it being tight, I'm pretty sure my light has a Shimano connector, and my hub is definitely Shutter Precision, and it is a tight fit. Sometimes it requires extra effort to remove the connector. Sometimes I just grab the pliers if they're close by. Sometimes I wedge a fingernail in there to get it started. And sometimes I think everything is put together properly, but my light isn't getting any power because I didn't push the connector on hard enough. But for all that, it's not a big deal. Now that I know that a SP connector would connect and disconnect more easily, it might be worth finding one if I were removing the front wheel daily, outside of my house, like if I locked the front wheel to the back or routinely put my bike in the trunk. As it is, I take that tire off once a week or so, and it's not a big deal at all. If Shimano's what you have, I would go for it.

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,440 Posts
I have two wheels, one SP, one Shimano. I’m not sure if my wiring is Shimano or B&M. In any event, it works with both hubs fine. I have noticed that it’s tight sometimes, now I know why. I can always get it off by hand, just takes a bit extra work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.