Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Mr. Lurker
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide on a good starter set; I have the PD-M545, however, I want to try a different pedal - the one sided clipless takes more effort to clip into.

Thinking about the PD-M540.

Anyone use PD-M545? these are a platform with clipless; will this be better if choosing to unclip in a tricky section?

How are those Wellgo pedals, pretty crappy?

Any other recommendations?

·
Rider, Builder, Dreamer
1,374 Posts
Stay away from Wellg-Hoe for sure. They're a great pedal if you enjoy being frustrated with your bike.

What makes you so set on platform w/ clips as opposed to a straight clip like the SPD M520? I know a lot of people enjoy these; they seem to be a standard for clipless. I sure have enjoyed mine.

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
M545's rock! I use them on both my trailbike's!! Go get em......Stay far far away from the welgo crap!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
The XT level pedal is a solid recommendation. Also, just practice lots with clipless pedals, set at low tension to make it easy to unclip. I know once I got used to mine, I never used the platform side anymore.

Get a set of platform pedals to use for riding FR/jumping etc.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Get XT, or pay $50 less and get the exact same pedal in the 540. Either way. You will have enough platform on those to give some nice support.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,946 Posts
Polishdog said:
Trying to decide on a good starter set; I have the PD-M545, however, I want to try a different pedal - the one sided clipless takes more effort to clip into.

Thinking about the PD-M540.

Anyone use PD-M545? these are a platform with clipless; will this be better if choosing to unclip in a tricky section?

How are those Wellgo pedals, pretty crappy?

Any other recommendations?
545s are great beginner and everything-else pedals (especially for downhill/freeride).

The big platform makes it easy to clip-in, provides lots of stability while riding, and so on.

What they are NOT for is they are NOT for unclipping and trying to "ride" unclipped on the platform. You WILL CRASH if you try and do this. Clipless pedals give you MORE control and allow you to ride much nastier terrain due to the secure interface and not being bounced all around. If a section is above your skill level, you should unclip, and walk the section. I love being able to ride real nasty sections with my 545s, yet if I tried to do the same thing (unclip), I'd also be at a much higher risk of slipping off the pedals or losing control.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Wildeyes said:
Get XT, or pay $50 less and get the exact same pedal in the 540. Either way. You will have enough platform on those to give some nice support.
I have both the XT's and the 540's. Same pedal, different color, different price. Either would make a great starter/ long-haul pedal.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've got the UNION SP 5600 in Ti. There're superb, very light (250g). Lighter and half of the price of Shimano XTR.
... but they are difficult to find online :rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts