Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2021 Marin alpine trail 7 came with the deore 12 speed with gas comment cranks. It came with the kmc chain and I’ve noticed and spotty shifting has been. My wife’s bike has the same drive train except for the cranks. Hers has the shimano chain and it is smooth and clean with no issues. Should I be running the hyper glide chain? Will it work that much better. And yes it’s adjusted correctly.

· Registered
226 Posts
Yea correct. Is the chain going to make that huge of a difference
It will make some difference. Shimano 12s chains are quite different, with chamfered side plates that engage differently with the sprockets and chainrings. They'll cause unusual wear on non-shimano 12s chainrings though.
Aside from that, I've broken a few KMC chains, and personally won't run them anymore (my knees are too valuable to smash into the stem again). I haven't had broken a 12s shimano yet, in about 4k of riding. YMMV.

· BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,871 Posts
If you're talking 12spd only then I can't say what if anything has changed. I've been running KMC chains on 9, 10 & 11 speed setups with zero chain related issues. Don't they make some of Shimano's chains?

Also, what's a "gas comment" crank?

· Registered
2,694 Posts
If you’re on Shimano systems with hyperglide + you’re going to want to run an actual shimano 12 speed chain.

without it, you won’t have the benefits of hyperglide +.

A KMC chain can work, but it will not be ideal.

· Registered
191 Posts
I rode a 2020 Marin RZ3 for a while that had a KMC cassette and chain with SLX shifter & derailleur. Upgrading from the KMC chain to a Shimano XT was a night & day improvement for noise, shift quality, and the ability to backpedal without dropping the chain.

· Registered
73 Posts
My Marin (12sp mix of XT, SLX drivetrain) also came with the KMC chain. Shifting was poor, backpedalling was temperamental and it was pretty noisy too. Changed to a Shimano chain and it has worked perfectly ever since.

The FSA gradient crankset (I assume you have the Comet) kept coming undone on mine too. The crankset got warrantied, but I changed to a shimano one in the meantime. That then reduced chain-on-chainring noise that I didn't realise I had had with the original FSA chainring.

· Registered
4,161 Posts
LOVED KMC Chains on my 9/10 speed drivetrains.
Went with a SRAM Chain on an XO drivetrain before KMC came out with one and it was just Ok.
Made the move back to Shimano last year and have read that using anything other than a Shimano chain impairs shifting performance significantly. So far, so good with the XTR chain! (y)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.