Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the new Shimano 12-speed XT or XTR chain play nicely with SRAM wide/narrow chainrings?

Thanks!

·
thecentralscrutinizer
2,969 Posts
I'm running Shimano 12-spd chain with a Sram 12-spd powerlink and it works fine. I've read in other threads that the Shimano link is too narrow for the Sram chainring.

·
Rocks belong
5,292 Posts
No, it will not fit because the inner link has been extended. This interferes with the wide teeth.
Please clarify which "inner link" you are referring to?

As posted above your response, I've heard of people running 12s Shimano chains with a Eagle quick-link and a regular 12s chain ring. Haven't done it myself, but intend to try it soon, as my hardtail has a SRAM crank.

·
thecentralscrutinizer
2,969 Posts
Please clarify which "inner link" you are referring to?

As posted above your response, I've heard of people running 12s Shimano chains with a Eagle quick-link and a regular 12s chain ring. Haven't done it myself, but intend to try it soon, as my hardtail has a SRAM crank.
It runs together great. No shifting issues, no losing the chain off the chainring. Shimano 9100 chain, Sram Quicklink and X-Sync chainring, XTR rear derailleur and cassette.

Attachments

Reactions: TangoPapa

·
Registered
124 Posts
I was referring to this:
https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/technologies/component/details/new-technology-hg.html

The Shimano chain did not fit my OneUp Switch narrow-wide ring. That is why I found out about this whole thing. OneUp is now making a V2 that works with the new Shimano chains. I got the Switch system so that I can swap rings around between my bikes and based on need. I have put on a KMC X-12 chain for now. The shifting is slightly worse than it was with the Shimano chain, but it is a small difference and doesn't bother me.

I didn't try other rings than the One Up because I don't have any other narrow-wide that fit my XT cranks. I thought it would be a general problem with narrow-wide rings, my bad!

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It runs together great. No shifting issues, no losing the chain off the chainring. Shimano 9100 chain, Sram Quicklink and X-Sync chainring, XTR rear derailleur and cassette.
THAT is what I was hoping to hear.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just put a 32t Sram X sync chainring back on due to oval tooth 🦷 broke,

shifting no issues
Main chainring seems to be abit thick for 12spd shimano SLX chain or chain too slim.
Does make some sound during pedalling as if sand in chain but still works.

was wondering will a KMC chain help or work with shimano drivetrain?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts